Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

94 stalling - Here's my thoughts... yours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Default 94 stalling - Here's my thoughts... yours?

I just changed my valve stem seals because of oil fouled plugs. Got everything buttoned back up. Didn't start, bad battery (old). Changed battery, started up rough. Adjusted timing and let it run idle for 15 min.

Took it for a test drive; backed it out of the drive, ok. Went down to the end of street, ok. Stopped at stop sign, it died as if it was on a kill switch, I mean instant shutdown. Started back up ok, reversed it back to my drive ok. Stopped, it died. Started up ok, pulled into drive and stopped, it died.

It is a manual, so it is clearly dying when I shift from gear to neutral.

Here's my checklist of to do's... Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

1) Double check battery clamp tightness.
2) Check rotor position w/respect to TDC.
3) Double check timing.
4) Pull distributor and check exhaust cam position w/respect to TDC.
5) Based on posts I've read here, I may reinstall the distributor w/RTV if it looks like oil is getting past O-ring.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Default RE: 94 stalling - Here's my thoughts... yours?

take it to autozone and have them plug it in,
my 96 altima shuts down after it warms up, but it will usually start right back up, then drive for a min then shut down. took it to autozone they say its the cam shaft position sensor is located in the distributor. i cleaned the contacts on the cap and the check engine light went off but it died again and the light is back on. i had the distributor replace about a year ago.
looking for a fix.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

My problem was the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR. I changed it and all is well. To test to see if this is your problem disconnect the wires going to the MAF and drive around for a few days; if you don't stall , then it is the MAF that is flaky.