Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

Electrical problem: brakelight/clock/?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Default Electrical problem: brakelight/clock/?

Need help troubleshooting electrical (?) problem. The clock display on my '94 blacks out when I hit my brakes and my headlights are not on. (I hear the relay click somewhere mid-lower dash.) When the headlights are on and I hit the brakes, the clock dispaly remains on in the normal dimmed mode. But with headlights (and taillights) on, I've been told my right side taillights black out when I hit the brakes. I've also noted a clicking from a mid-lower dash relay when I adjust my dash lights brightness with the thumbwheel...never did this normally. Ideas??? Thanks!

Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Default RE: Electrical problem: brakelight/clock/?

Sooooo, everything works fine when the lights are on but things black out when the lights are off. Right? Well, my guess would be that for some reason, you have only partial power to your clock, tail lights and such. hen when you hit your brakes, the tail lights rob what's left of the power you've got and your clock and such goes out. When you turn on your lights, this provides an alternate power source for the clock, tail lights, etc. In other words, they're able to rob power from another spot and keep working. Oh, relay could be going on/off (clicking) for the same reason. Barely enough power to stay engauged and when you hit the brakes, "click".

That's my guess anyway. Now the why... Can't help you too much there. Have you done any electrical work on it lately? Anything burned out/up? Maybe disconnected a wire somewhere? Checked all the fuses? Fusable links? etc. That's where I'd start.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Old 10-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Default RE: Electrical problem: brakelight/clock/?

Thanks for the ideas, Brad. . . . No, haven't installed anything or messed with any circuits. Fuses, etc. look o.k.. Guess I'll keep looking for any wiring that just doesn't look right, check connections, etc.. (There shouldn't be any exposed contacts inside the shift console, should there? I've lost 1 or 2 coins down in there that slipped in under the gearshift cover.)