Nissan Altima This mid sized entry is been among the leaders in its class thanks to its powerful engine and roomy interior.

Keys for Altima

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Default Keys for Altima

I just purchased a 2006 Altima and was quoted the following costs to have a new key made ($30 for the key, $45 to program the keyand $130 for a new fob. My question is can I have a spare key made at my local hardware store to keep for emergency purposes or must I go to a dealer? Also, does anyone know where I can buy the official Nissan key blank and fob at a discounted price. I can then go to the dealer and spend the $45 to have the keys coded the same. Of course, if someone know how to program the keys that would be great. The price is quite expensive but I do love the Altima. I will spring for the amount I stated above but if I can save a few bucks it is better in my pocket then the dealer's. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Default RE: Keys for Altima

joev the problem you face is that the keys (micro chip in key blank) operate on a rolling code which means that every time you use your key it recieves a new code from the computer onboard. This is an advanced theft deterrant built into the new nissans. As far as discounted prices on keys and fobs i am not aware of a source out there. If you know anyone that works for a nissan dealer they maybe able to help with thier discounts. Another avenue is salvage yards.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Default RE: Keys for Altima

I recently purchased a certified used 06 Altima and was only given one key. My first question is do all new Nissans come with just one key or did the previous owner lose the spare or kept it to steal the car back after I purchased it? My wife and I share the car and it would be convenient for each of us to have our own key at our dispense rather than passing it like an Olympic torch.

Second... after reading this post, what the heck is a "FOB?"

Last... is a dealership the only option in ascertaining a spare key?