Nissan Frontier This mid sized truck offers the advantages of the full sized Titan with its large bed and great off roading ability, but with a smaller, more efficient engine.

1998 Heater control unit replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Default 1998 Heater control unit replacement.

Okay, so the lights and fan switch no longer work on my heater control unit on the 98 Nissan Frontier. This is the part that controls fan speed Ac control and vents on the the vehicle. When I took the dash apart I noticed three wires that control the different vents on the vehicle and I cannot find a way to remove them. These are not electrical wires. These are stiff wires that open the vents on the Vehicle. At a closer look it looks like there is a tab holding them in I tried getting at them with a screw driver but was unable to remove them. Trying to get to them is also a huge problem. How do I attack this issue and replace this. Is there a special tool that releases the tab holding the wire in place? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM

I had the same problem with my ac air flow ****. The air only came out of the defrost vent no matter where the **** was turned. I don't know if its possible to remove those cables from the back of the control panel. I removed them from the other end where they connect to plastic control arms on the heater core and in two other spots. When I removed them, I had already removed most of my dash, so I don't know if you will be able to access them without removing the dash. Hopefully this helps.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:34 AM

Yikes... I hope I don't have to remove the whole dash. I have been looking at the tabs again and tried getting one of them out. I think there must be a tool or something, but have no idea. I have the new heater control unit ready to go. If I have to take the dash apart I might just hire a garage to do it. This may sound stupid. Where are the vent cable located and how easy are they to get off? Would appreciate any additional information.