Nissan Frontier This mid sized truck offers the advantages of the full sized Titan with its large bed and great off roading ability, but with a smaller, more efficient engine.

Front wheel bearing hub assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 09:35 AM
Default Front wheel bearing hub assembly

I know this question will probably seem silly or stupid to a lot of people but here goes anyway. I have a '14 Frontier SV 2WD with just over 300K miles on it. I use it as a service truck for work and I get mileage as well as use it for personal vehicle. One of the front wheel bearings finally wore out and I replaced it. My question is, Does it need any kind of lubrication added to it (oil or grease) or is it a sealed unit with all lubrication already in it? I am a bit old school where I am used to seeing either grease fittings or the bearings are 'open' and you pack them with grease. The hub assembly is sealed and next to the ABS sensor cable is an Allen Head screw that could be removed. Replacing parts on previously owned vehicles you either had to buy a new grease fitting or swap from the old part.. The old hub doesn't have a grease fitting but it has the same Allen Head screw next to the ABS sensor. Obviously the reason for the replacement is because of serious grinding noise and with the tires lifted the right front was the only one that moved when I grabbed it at the top and bottom and sides. After replacement there is still a grinding noise but much much less in volume. Obviously I don't want to have to replace the part I just replaced and now that i have found replacement parts at 1/3 the cost online, I will probably go ahead and replace the driver side as well. Also I already replaced the brake pads. They were kinda thin but still had 1/8th-3/16th pad left on them. They hadn't gotten so low as to get into the rotors yet. Sorry if this seems a littl long, I am just trying to give as complete a picture as possible and ward off any obvious questions.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Phonedoc
I know this question will probably seem silly or stupid to a lot of people but here goes anyway. I have a '14 Frontier SV 2WD with just over 300K miles on it. I use it as a service truck for work and I get mileage as well as use it for personal vehicle. One of the front wheel bearings finally wore out and I replaced it. My question is, Does it need any kind of lubrication added to it (oil or grease) or is it a sealed unit with all lubrication already in it? I am a bit old school where I am used to seeing either grease fittings or the bearings are 'open' and you pack them with grease. The hub assembly is sealed and next to the ABS sensor cable is an Allen Head screw that could be removed. Replacing parts on previously owned vehicles you either had to buy a new grease fitting or swap from the old part.. The old hub doesn't have a grease fitting but it has the same Allen Head screw next to the ABS sensor. Obviously the reason for the replacement is because of serious grinding noise and with the tires lifted the right front was the only one that moved when I grabbed it at the top and bottom and sides. After replacement there is still a grinding noise but much much less in volume. Obviously I don't want to have to replace the part I just replaced and now that i have found replacement parts at 1/3 the cost online, I will probably go ahead and replace the driver side as well. Also I already replaced the brake pads. They were kinda thin but still had 1/8th-3/16th pad left on them. They hadn't gotten so low as to get into the rotors yet. Sorry if this seems a littl long, I am just trying to give as complete a picture as possible and ward off any obvious questions.
Would it be for a zerk for greasing the hub ?