Nissan Frontier This mid sized truck offers the advantages of the full sized Titan with its large bed and great off roading ability, but with a smaller, more efficient engine.

new member, a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Default new member, a couple questions

hi, a couple months ago i bought an 03 frontier xe, extended cab. base truck, the first thing i did was add power locks, throw in a little bit of my stereo stuff, and an alarm. it's a 5 speed, so the remote start has to take a back seat for a while. anyways, when i got the truck (which the dealership i got it from is absolutely TERRIBLE! anyone in florida, stay far, far away from nissan of melbourne... long story, TERRIBLE service). anyways, when i got the truck, occasionally as i was driving on the highway it would bog down, make a low squealing noise, only for a second, then it would stop and everything would go back to normal. later i realized that it only did that when the A/C was on, and found that the serpentine belt was a bit loose. tightened it a bit, and that is now completely fine. now my only complaint is that occasionally (maybe 40-50% of the time) when i start the truck, a belt somewhere squeals for about a second (real short, usually by the time it cranks enough to catch and start, it stops) and then doesn't squeal again. all the belts appear to be tight, and don't seem to be rotten or worn out. the truck has about 50k on it. it doesn't do it all the time, but about half the time or so it does. everything else seems to be great. i had a few complaints about nissan's design of the truck (the domelight is a freakin joke... not very bright and way in the back, so i grabbed a spare domelight out of some sort of chevy SUV and retrofitted it in the front, wired it in, and that is resolved and now i have map lights ) anyone that wants a spare domelight, let me know. i have a few more floating around in my toolbox left over from doing video systems, and it only takes about 5 minutes to do it. not real wild about a few of the other things, but they're small things, and maybe i'm just kinda picky. but any insight into the squeal would be a great help. i was at a gas station tonight, and an old dude heard me start my truck and said his does the exact same thing, so appearantly it isn't that uncommon in these trucks. perhaps i just didn't tighten the serpentine belt quite enough... any ideas?

thanks