Nissan Frontier This mid sized truck offers the advantages of the full sized Titan with its large bed and great off roading ability, but with a smaller, more efficient engine.

Starter removal to get tranny out 99 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Default Starter removal to get tranny out 99 4x4

1. the Nissan shop 99 frontier 4X4 manual 5 speed says to remove the starter in order to remove the tranny. I don't understand why, because it is in front side of were the oil changing tank is pointing in on the drivers side. This is on the other side, (front toward engine side), of the flange were the tranny bolts are and were I assume you make the split to remove the tranny? The starter stickicks out the front on the drivers side toward the front of the car in front of this flange.
Regardless the stupid Nissan shop manual says nothing about how to get the starter out ,it seems to stick into the front of the tranny with no bolts to hold it in and getting @ the cylinoid to remove the wires looks impossible. Please comment / help.

2. I need to remove the shift main control lever and the book again dose not help. Looking down on it you see a square cover over three shifter held down with 4 bolts, maybe 3in by 3in. The shifter goes through a hole in this cover, were a large C clip, (inch 1/2 or so diameter) can be seen. Can you help me with instructions on steps to remove this shifter / shift control arm.

3. It dose not seem to be clear whether the transfer box must be removed it dose say to remove the front drive axle, which is easy, but it looks like the tranny might hit it coming out, (close anyway). It would be a real bear to get out because of the front propeller shaft connecting to it.

4. After getting everything disembled cross suports whats the best way to get @ the top bolts holding the tranny in.

If you think you could help but would need pictures of the bottom of the truck please email me @ alsehendo34@hotmail.com

Any other hints you can think of would be appreciated the manual is not the greatest--it dose a good job @ explaining removal off torsion bars.

Thanks, Steve

Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Default RE: Starter removal to get tranny out 99 4x4

to remove that starter there are two bolt that attach stright to the transmission.