Nissan Of Japan Other Models President, Cima, Fuga, Teana, Primera, Primera Wagon, Bluebird Sylphy, Latio, Tiida, Note, Cube3, Cube, March, Moco, Stagea, Avenir, and Wingroad.

Nissan Primera 1998 Dash lights out

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Default Nissan Primera 1998 Dash lights out

Hi,

My wife just recently bought an autoNissan Primera 1998 model, it is a Japanese import into NZ and after attempting to fit a new stereo for her I appear to have stopped the dash lights working. Now there are no lights around the gear lever or behind the instruments when you switch the headlights on. I am not a complete novice at electronics but I am no car expert and have never owned a Nissan before. The stereo works fine and also controls the antenna OK, all the speakers are working.
I didn't have a maual so I cut the factory stereo connectors of the loom and soldered the wires from the new stereo to the loom as follows:

Loom colour -> Stereo connection
Pink/Black - 12v battery
Blue/Orange - 12v Ignition
Orange - Ground
Red -Antennac Control
Black/Red - Speaker Front Right+
Brown - Speaker Front Right-
Black/White - Speaker Front Left+
Blue - Speaker Front Left-

Black/Pink -Speaker Rear Right+
Orange - Speaker Rear Right-
Black/Yellow - Speaker Rear Left+
Green - SpeakerRear Left-

I found the speakers by checking for 4 ohms and tested their locations with a 9v battery - I'm pretty sure they're all fine. The orange ground wire buzzed to the chassis gnd with the ign off using a meter and the Pink/Black wire had 12v on all the time. The Blue/Orange wire only had 12v with the ign on. It is possible that the 12v bat may have touched either the ground or ign wires but I did not see this happen and there were no sparks or nasty burning smells. All the wires above connected to the old factory stereo. All the fuses look OK. I'm pretty sure I didn't disturb any other wiring as no force was required to fit things back together - infact the job seemed to go v.smoothly apart from me braking the car!
I would be eternally grateful if you could get me out of the dog house, the stereo was a birthday present and the car's her new pride and joy!

Thanks,
Alan