Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

2000 Maxima Service Light On

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Default 2000 Maxima Service Light On

Hey folks,

I have a 2000 maxima with the service light on. I read the owners manual and it says either a loose gas cap or something in the emissions system is bad. Anyone else have this problem? Where should I start troubleshooting before I take it too a shop? any suggestions would be helpful.

J

Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Default RE: 2000 Maxima Service Light On

You need to get it scanned. It will most likely shwo that your Rear O2 sensor is bad. It's an easy fix. NAPA sells them for about $90.
The Gas Cap may be screwed in wrong....so check that first. If the code goes away with that, then good for you.

In reality, it's most likely your O2 sensor.

It's an easy fix though. Took me about 10 minutes...but you are going to have to get your hands on a Lift or some high jack-stands. The sensor is pretty hard to get out.

Good luck.

Judas

Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Thanks Judas!

I'll give that a try. When you say scan, will I have to take it to a dealer or is there something that I can buy and use it again later? I think I got everything else covered.

J

Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 AM

I say "Scan" so loosely because I ended up buying an ODB-II Scanner. Strangely enough...my problems started with the exact problem you are having.

I recommend buying a Scanner from Advance Autoparts or something like that. It will run you about $70 - $80...
It's pretty reasonable considering how often I have used it.

I have a 1999 SE, and about 6 months after I bought it, It started with the O2 sensor...then progressed into 6 New coils.

Good luck...

Judas

Old 01-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the advice man! I'll check into it!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:50 AM

JWebb : My light went on alos. I had it scanned at a shop for $69. they found a broken part as described in my posting this date. See the reply a kind person sent to me.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Judas

You need to get it scanned. It will most likely shwo that your Rear O2 sensor is bad. It's an easy fix. NAPA sells them for about $90.
The Gas Cap may be screwed in wrong....so check that first. If the code goes away with that, then good for you.

In reality, it's most likely your O2 sensor.

It's an easy fix though. Took me about 10 minutes...but you are going to have to get your hands on a Lift or some high jack-stands. The sensor is pretty hard to get out.

Good luck.

Judas
Could be alot of things, Just keep in mind if there is a code for the rear oxyen sensor the ecu may have to be flashed. ECU is warranty for 8 years 80,000 miles.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 AM

you should take it to autozone they check your car for free as long as it's a 97 and up...i used to work there.....what is the car doing or how is it running if it sounds like it chokes then it'll end up being your Mass Air Flow sensor that will set you back a good 2-300 bucks.....but get it checked out and ask for someone to help you out....laterZ

Mingo

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM

So I deciede to order the vacuum valve for the charlcoal canister from Nissan parts2U which is a Nissan Dealer, for $77 instead of the local dealer who wanted $140. I did not want the check engine light to remain on. The part finally delivers after 2 or 3 weeks and the day it delivers the check engine light goes off, new part not installeed!
What gives? Only explanation I can figure is the bulb for the check engine light burned out out.
Any comments, please?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 AM

If the error causing signal from sensor(s) disappears, ECU shuts the light off after programmed period (time & drivin profile). The cause may be contact problem which come/go, or sensor is dying. Also it may be cracked ctrl hose intermittently leaking.

I took all out and snipped half inch off (all warm/engine -end hoses were cracked) see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/3

Whattodo for yall ppl contacts: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14

Quick Reply: 2000 Maxima Service Light On