Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

90 Maxima Please read: Car is possesed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Default 90 Maxima Please read: Car is possesed!

Well where to begin... About 3 mo's ago i locked the keys in the car and i hopped up onto the sunroof to reach in and unlock the door, after doing so the security alarm (factory) engaged and i couldnt get it to stop because sometimes the key would get stuck in the ignition (prior to me finding the little button hiddin behind the ignition switch)and turniong the key to start it does nothing when the alarms been tripped,itried pulling all the relays marked RE: alarm to no avail, so i had to pull off one of the cables to the "ground" side of the battery(not the battery cable itself). Theres the Bat cable then two othe lines with plastic clips running to the post. One will disable the security feature and i believe it controls other things as well but my haynes book for the car doesnt specify what. The other cable will not allow the car to start period. Then everything was fine once i figured out how to remove the key when stuck. Then a week or so goes by and the car will not start at times, the starter engages but wont fire up and that dam security light is on again, so i turn the key off and on several times and i notice that the speedo needle jumps up and down at times like its dancing after several attempts it will start and sometimes when sitting idle it will just shut off (not a sputtering stop but just stop period) so im thinking SECURITY or IGNITION! not the fuel pump? Yesterday i attempted to replace the valve cover gaskets (well at least the front one) because oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold making the car smoke pretty bad. I took off the throttle body and the distributor in hopes of removing the cover without removing the entire air intake that covers the entire to of the block. I then started to loosen the bolts (phillips head? wtf?) on the valve cover and they were all finger tight...well some were about to fall out! So i thought hey im a damn genious or a complete idiot? anyways after tightening everything up and putting the dist n cap back on (yes i marked it and all the cables are correct) i go to start the car, its starts right up but when i get in the car and hit the gas the windshield wipers go nuts! i mean 10x the speed of the highest setting, when i let off the gas they stop. then i see traces off smoke coming from around instrument cluster and now the automatic seat belts are inoperable also auto doorlocks,windows are also dead, the a/c unit will blow air but the compressor doesnt kick on so it isnt cold and the rad. fan stays on all the time even when the car is off for a period of time and has cooled down.... perhaps i fried a control unit somewhere under the dash? Please i need help and i dont have the money to take my baby to a nissan dealership. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Default RE: 90 Maxima Please read: Car is possesed!

If all smoke escaped, its quite bad: anyways try to collect & pump all that smoke back, then it'll be runnin again...

If that doesnt hlp, take instr cluster out and see wassup: instru cluster short circ makes thick smoke and all that 'for nothin'. Maybe just solderin some foils is enough... Some info - see link page5, below...

Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 PM

Took out cluster and found a burn next to the tachometer which explains why that isnt working..... now whats causing the other problems?

Old 07-04-2006, 03:59 AM

For A/C read the A/C -page7, for door/win the door/win page13... and ALL the links.
Go thru fuses... possibly u have a harness meltdown smwhere. Sounds like rainy day, seals leakin, short circuits...

Old 07-04-2006, 11:54 AM

thats special.... it did rain all day. Looks like i fried alot of relays somehow, i got the a/c comp to kick on after swithching out the rear defog relay for it (Blue relay) I then tested more blue relays from other items such as horn etc. by taking them out and testing them in the a/c spot.... all dead.... same goes for brown relays i tested at cooling fan spot. and everytime i stick a fuse in the "wiper" slot it pops immediently on or off... and whats to ay i replace all these relays and they just fry out again? sigh

Old 07-04-2006, 02:29 PM

thats special.... it did rain all day. Looks like i fried alot of .... ... sigh
I'd open the drivers door, try to find wet components /harness. Btw, Any door havin water in the switch box circ boards, may pull down the windows opener databus.

But still theres possible leak from windshield (sunroof?) lettin water (?) inside the dashboard. If water seeps in, it may travel on the other side if car was parked in some angle. Check the seals...

Behind fusepanel, deep in the corner are the connectors (SMJ's) for misc wiring to/out the engine bay area. (the injector/ign harness is routed from the pass side firewall). There is also a 'common' circ braker which will open if/as you have short(s) somewhere.

I'd try bigger fuses until I'd be gettin more smoke signals (waitaminute: I will not recommend this) - ...if visual inspection doesnt bring fruit (big job!)

Check/print out the schematics and add color to each wire related to any problem. (seek 'Favorite Links' below) Then try to decide common denominator where they might be meetin/meltin/shortin together...

Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 PM

I had the alarm thing happen to me too. The Nissan dealership told me to "Put your car key into the driver side door and lock and unlock it. This disengages the alarm system." Hope it helps!!!