Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

92 maxima tranny troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Default 92 maxima tranny troubles

I've owned this car for exactly a year..It had approx 60K on it when I bought it from my father..Now its got 90K and just started today with automatic trans troubles...It slipps between 2nd and third and than slams really (way) hard into 3rd gear... Its worse when comming to a stop, it idles like it has a cylinder miss, and down shifting is extremely rough...Maybe a seperate problem as the idle issue seems to be intermittent...Its just weird because it all started at the same exact time...
As far as the tranny goes Im thinking about just buying a replacement tranny, anyone ever use or have any luck with coleman taylor tranny's???Any one have any tranny suggestions??? Tranny vendor suggestions???

Any and all advice welcomed and appreciated

Thank you

Old 05-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Default RE: 92 maxima tranny troubles

Very Familiar story to me...

Dont swap tranny. Thats the last resort after oil swap, snake oil additives...
- Replace/Repair TPS, its an input to A/T, see page6 & 9
- ign cap/wires p12
- go after oxidized connectors, make sure charge voltage at TCU is healthy pages 10,14,15
- buy/install 50$ A/T valve upgrade kit
- change A/T oil, page24

All those issues detailed with pictures, see read all 24pages plus "Favorite Links"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1

Old 05-09-2006, 10:18 AM

Did that work for you???

or did you just put it up for sale???

Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 PM

I got the car at 80k, now 3 yrs, not for sale. Its A/T was slippin from my day1... Slippin vanished totally after the electronics cleanup project explained. Nowadays A/T slippin intermittently 50% time on full throttle as accelerating, only as changing to second (on D). This is an issue explained in the valve upgrade that is supposed to vanish. I am goin to buy that 50$ upgrade kit and install it as I dont beleive the friction band is worn. (In my opinion, if it was mechanically worn, slippin would be constant, always, behave similarly so I think the '2' valve is sticking.)

Erroneus jerky gearchange, intermittent long wait instead of changing down was definitely bad TPS and vanished after repair: after that box behaviour is like a nice thought.

See other issues: the car as old it is, like a dream. Next project is axle boots, last winter was too much and they have now small cracks. Goin to buy the easy install Dorman slip over CV boots.

Checkout the oil swap process p24: For me that resulted temporarily in no2nd gear. The reason was bubble pockets in the hydraulics system. (Read the manual for A/T, see links.) Remedy: Idling half hour as vehicle was in steep angle, 'killed' the bubbles inside the oil, and no problems since. This bubble problem may be a result of sucking air during the oil swap process = keep idle time at max 10s (referring here to page24 process)