Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

95 Maxima.. what a story!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Default 95 Maxima.. what a story!

A couple months ago, I gave my son $500.00 for his non-running white 95 Maxima. After a new starter, 2 cans of engine bright, new tires, new headliner, new hand brake boot, new ignition switch and new radio, I think I'm about halfway done. I even got the air bag light to go out by using the 'open drivers door, turn ignition to on, press drivers door light button 7 times" trick. It worked. Oh did I mention, it took a FULL DAY of cleaning and scrubbing to get all the spilt soda, candy, ice cream and grime out? Yep, my son is somewhat of a slob.. however, I could see a real gem of a car under all that grime and she sure is looking perty now.

Here's my question and of course it is happening the month I need to take it in for our state inspection. My check engine light came on the other day and when I turn the screw on the ECM, the blinking check engine light is 3 long 4 short, 3 long, 2 short. The code for 34 and 32 is the knock sensor and EGR valve. I disconnected the neg battery cable over night and reattached next morning. I was thrilled for 2 days when the check engine light stayed off. Well, last night on the way home from work, it came on again. I checked the ECM again and it was again BOTH the EGR and knock sensor. Why both at the same time? It 'sounds' like there is a 3rd element affecting the ECM reading the EGR and knock sensor. I just don't want to spend unnecessary HARD EARNED cash on 2 items I may not need. Any help would be appreciated.

thanx, saltykayak

[IMG]local://upfiles/3065/E35ED59AF5EF48F79E28494E836DAE81.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Default RE: 95 Maxima.. what a story!

I advice you to disconnected the battery night before you take the car for inspection....if its off at the time of inspection everything should go through...and you should pass inspection without a problem....i know many that have done that and are still doing it....

Old 10-12-2006, 02:44 AM

ECU is a lottery machine... u get numbers but never win. Connectors & gnd cleanup time ...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14

The KS dies itself, hard to swap, easy to bypass with 5c resistor. (needs higher octane gas after bypass)

EGR valves get dirty by the mile, cleaning should help. Also brittled ctrl hoses will cause malfunction.

Check link p.3 & 9, see below...

Btw. Everythin on these floatin computers starts from checking charge voltage at batt, at ECU.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 AM

Passed inspection... eeehaaaa! That was a good thing because the next day, the check engine light came on again. The ECU indicated the KS. Dang!