Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

'96 maixima emissions system

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Default '96 maixima emissions system

The control valve near the charcoal canister, underside of car - one of the tubes broke of in the connecting hose - caused the check emissions light to on dash to come on. The dealer wants $141 for this part! I pulled the brokentube from the hose and used J-B weld epoxy to attached it back onto the white plastic body of the valve, then reinstalled the valve into the four small hoses that connect to it. Thought I did a good fix it job, but the light is still on on the dash. Does the dash light have to be reset? What harm will be done to the car if this repair is not done completely correct or at all? Should I go to the junkyard and find an intact valve and install ? Will I have to pay a pro repair shop for a new valve and installation?
This is my first experience on in a forum. I hope some kind, knowledgeable person can offer advice. thank you.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Default RE: '96 maixima emissions system

ORIGINAL: bspaeth

The control valve near the charcoal canister, underside of car - one of the tubes broke of in the connecting hose - caused the check emissions light to on dash to come on. The dealer wants $141 for this part! I pulled the broken tube from the hose and used J-B weld epoxy to attached it back onto the white plastic body of the valve, then reinstalled the valve into the four small hoses that connect to it. Thought I did a good fix it job, but the light is still on on the dash. Does the dash light have to be reset? What harm will be done to the car if this repair is not done completely correct or at all? Should I go to the junkyard and find an intact valve and install ? Will I have to pay a pro repair shop for a new valve and installation?
This is my first experience on in a forum. I hope some kind, knowledgeable person can offer advice. thank you.
Vent control valve? As long as the leak was the hose the repair should be fine. The valve can get stuck also and cause the cel to come on. Try to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for a little and see if the lamp comes back. No harm will come to the car for an emissions leak.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:53 AM

Fragile, thanks for your reply! Not sure of the exact name of the part. white plastic appx 1 1/2" with 4 tubes coming out of it connects to 4 small hoses located at charcoal canister, underside of car drivers side. One bolt on a bracket arem keeps it in place ( the bolt actually is connected to 2 of the hoses that attach to the 'valve'. The leak occured because one of the four tubes coming off the part broke right at the valve body. That is where I did the repair. I'll try the battery disconnect to turn off the dash light. Thanks again

Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 AM

... 4 tubes coming out of it connects to 4 small hoses located at charcoal canister, underside of car drivers side. ...
This system is a great greenpee invention for sales, keepin stealerships happy, not engine. The whole system lifetime possibly creates more emissions than a vehicle without...

Check all hoses for brittleness; seek info for this via links on page below.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:00 PM

Sounds like it to me. Let me know if the light turns off

Old 12-19-2006, 12:22 AM

Nope, battery dis- and re-connect did not turn the light off. In principle, I hatethe idea of driving with a dash light on. Should I get over it and drive at low and highpeeds with this light on?
Maybe I'll get a replacement part from a junkyard. Some people said this system is not worth the trouble.
It's a '96 but only 77k miles. Any more thoughts? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 AM

Take that bulb out and try to be happy. Only problem might be passing emissions test (if any?).

Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bspaeth

Nope, battery dis- and re-connect did not turn the light off. In principle, I hate the idea of driving with a dash light on. Should I get over it and drive at low and high peeds with this light on?
Maybe I'll get a replacement part from a junkyard. Some people said this system is not worth the trouble.
It's a '96 but only 77k miles. Any more thoughts? Thanks!
What is the DTC?? Evap small leak? It's fine to drive with a evap leak/ however if you live where they have emissions (Pa law used here) you will fail emissions and no be able to have the car inspected. Goto auto zone and get the code pulled. Evap small leak could still be the valve. Also if you leaver the light on and another concern developes you won't know.