Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

Groaning noise during acceleration (50+mph)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Default Groaning noise during acceleration (50+mph)

My 98 Maxima is making a strange groaning noise when I accelerate on the highway,
usually when I get above 50. If I slow down it stops, but starts up again when I accelerate.

I have brought it to one Nissan dealer and they didn't know what it was. A few months
ago my husband had my transmissioned flushed b/c he felt like it was almost shifting gears (it is an automatic)
when driving...I am wondering if this is causing the problem.

My husband brought it back to the dealer today and they are telling me that I need a new
transmission now!

Any ideas???

Thanks -
afanning

Old 06-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Default RE: Groaning noise during acceleration (50+mph)

1. idea is to steer clear from the stealership.

Next calculate your car value and define how much you are willing to spend or if its time to change. My guess is that you may buy 2 top notch ten yr old maximas for one stealership tranny operation: their main goal is your purse, too often thats the only goal. Mileage is a most definin factor: why change tranny if chassis/engine needs costly repairs durin next years. This evaluation is not in dealership short term interest ...

Your problem explanation can fit 1001 reasons, and maybe theyre related towhatever but tranny, -or- just to tranny, so make sure to get at least two different opinions from known good referenced shops.

Just guessin:
If the reason is tranny, quite possible theres a change in the noise, if O/D button (4th gear) is on -or- off. Try flippin durin the noise... Next try drivin at 2nd. If noise follows more the engine rpm gauge, then cause might be exhaust piping or engine...

Tranny oil has to be changed periodically. You can check oil level, engine idlin, on P. Get your prince to read this, maybe u get some ideas: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/24 ...note that he is one of the few [=give all support] who cares for good maintenance, oil change never hurts regardless of what coach potatoes tell.