Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

How the heck do I remove alternator belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Default How the heck do I remove alternator belt?

I'm embarassed to ask this one, but I can't figure out how to remove the alternator belt. I have the serpentine belt off.
It's hard to see what the logical next step is. I loosened what appeard to be a tensioning device on the rear side of the alternator pulley. It flops around now, but the belt is tight, tight, tight! After 40 years of doing this kind of work, this is really embarassing!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Default RE: How the heck do I remove alternator belt?

ORIGINAL: full_monte
... I have the serpentine belt off....
Serpentine? What actually is the problem... on pic below, no.2 is the alt belt:

clic more at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/23

Old 10-13-2006, 05:52 PM

Thanks much for the reply and drawing. My model Maxima (97 GLE) has two belts (not three)...the serpentine and another one closer to the engine block. The smaller belt is not serpentine. I was incorrect about what it operates...it's not the alternator or the a/c compressor, but appears to be a power steering pump. It is the closest belt-driven unit next to the passenger seat. The tensioning device for this unit looks like the one in your photo. I have the tensioning device loose, but can't find, or see the pivot pin bolt on the pump that would allow me to release tension on the belt. It's very tight and dark in there, and I can't see much. There are two holes in the pump pulley, and there appear to be two bolt heads accessible through these holes. I loosened the bottom one and the belt is still tight. I can't get a wrench on the top one because of tight accessibility. I'm out of ideas and would greatly appreciate knowing the key to this problem. Thank you again!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Do seek/follow the links there to get exact Nissan model info

Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM

Well, after two days of attempting to remove the fan belt, I finally got it off. I know it sounds simple, but it wasn't. There was a pivot bolt on the power steering pump that was on the back side of the pump, not the pulley side where you'd expect it. I couldn't see it, but felt it with my hand. I barely got a wrench on it for loosening about 1/8 turn at a time. I needed hands half the size of mine, and muscles twice as big. Then, it was necessary to use the loosened tensioning device to produce slack in the belt. You have to turn the tensioning bolt clockwise to move the power steering pump down around the pivot. A friend helped me. It turned out, I didn't have the pivot bolt quite loose enough.

Thanks again for the helpful tips.