Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

Maxima "mystery"

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Default Maxima "mystery"

Hi, My 2001 Maxima has been at the dealership for two weeks and they can't diagnose the problem. Prior to bringing the car to the dealership, I had a problem with the car on 4 different occasions over the course of about a month. The car would start but wouldn't continue running under load. As soon as any pressure was exerted on the accelerator pedal, the engine would die. After letting the car sit for a while, it would run fine for a couple of days at a minimum and a couple of weeks at a maximum. My local repair shop couldn't diagnose the problem so the last time the car failed to run, I bit the bullet and had it towed to a Nissan dealer. As fate would have it, it has been running fine since it has been in the dealer's possession. However, the "service engine soon" light is on and the ECM is throwing codes for the mass air flow sensor,absolute pressure sensor, and throttle position sensor. Has anyone out there experienced a similar nightmare? Right now the only solution the dealership seems to have is to leave the car there until it won't run again. Not much of an option. Thanks, Paul

Old 02-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Maxima "mystery"

Those codes usually means bad boost sensor..... seeing how Nissan's dont have "MAP" sensors. Those car's definatley have problems withMAF sensor too.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:01 AM

Intermittent problems are the worst. There is not much one can do but swap one sensor and go on until problems wont reappear, possibly (?) faulty sensors have now been replaced... (What I do next, I re-insert the components until the faulty one has been defined.)

Just one sensor wont kill the engine (err light, yes) but will drop it into safemode where rpm is limited. Possibly there actually pops two simultaneous problems killin it - when engine moves as rpm rises (solvin requires skilled tech with brains). There then would be no measurable problem when engine stands...

Is it only cold?

'This' is very likely one of the problems: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14

Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: pjd822

Hi, My 2001 Maxima has been at the dealership for two weeks and they can't diagnose the problem. Prior to bringing the car to the dealership, I had a problem with the car on 4 different occasions over the course of about a month. The car would start but wouldn't continue running under load. As soon as any pressure was exerted on the accelerator pedal, the engine would die. After letting the car sit for a while, it would run fine for a couple of days at a minimum and a couple of weeks at a maximum. My local repair shop couldn't diagnose the problem so the last time the car failed to run, I bit the bullet and had it towed to a Nissan dealer. As fate would have it, it has been running fine since it has been in the dealer's possession. However, the "service engine soon" light is on and the ECM is throwing codes for the mass air flow sensor, absolute pressure sensor, and throttle position sensor. Has anyone out there experienced a similar nightmare? Right now the only solution the dealership seems to have is to leave the car there until it won't run again. Not much of an option. Thanks, Paul
Let one of the dealers tech's overnight road test it. If they duplicate it that would help. Just my 2cents