Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

Sudden engine stop - 1995 Maxima GLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Default Sudden engine stop - 1995 Maxima GLE

I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 6 cylinder, with about 107,000 miles. About 3 months ago, the engine had a sudden decrease in power....sort of a "hiccup" where the power would suddenly decrease. Shortly after this started, the engine died at an red-light intersection with no warning. I still had power to the car, just could not restart. I had to be towed.

The repair shop diagnosed and replaced all fuel injectors to the tune of $1100+. On the way home from the repair shop, the car died again (same exact thing) but this time it started back up and was able to continue driving with no problem that day. Took the car back, repair shop said everthing was fixed, could not explain why it would suddenly die like that.

I have had the same situation happen approximately every 7-10 days, where the car will die suddenly. Fortunately, each time has been in a safe place (e.g. on a residential street or pulling into the driveway) rather than while traveling down the freeway. Potentially, this issue could be very dangerous.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!!

BTW, I now have the emissions dashboard light on. Don't know what this means, but will have to get this checked out too. I am thinking I need to go to a dealer have them run a full diagnostic on the vehicle to see if anything is not right.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Default RE: Sudden engine stop - 1995 Maxima GLE

You have a check engine light on. Id bet that will tell youyour problem. Id get a diagnostic scan,go to a store like auto zone and they will scanyour carfor free and more than likely sell you the part you need. i have a 96 and bought an OBD 2 scanner on ebay for 30.00 , i had 6 codes i started with, now down to 4. and i can rescan the car afteri replace a part to see if the code goes away. A check engine light is telling you something isn`t right. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bbpatt
I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE 6 cylinder, with about 107,000 miles. About 3 months ago, the engine had a sudden decrease in power....sort of a "hiccup" where the power would suddenly decrease. Shortly after this started, the engine died at an red-light intersection with no warning. I still had power to the car, just could not restart. I had to be towed.

The repair shop diagnosed and replaced all fuel injectors to the tune of $1100+. On the way home from the repair shop, the car died again (same exact thing) but this time it started back up and was able to continue driving with no problem that day. Took the car back, repair shop said everthing was fixed, could not explain why it would suddenly die like that.

I have had the same situation happen approximately every 7-10 days, where the car will die suddenly. Fortunately, each time has been in a safe place (e.g. on a residential street or pulling into the driveway) rather than while traveling down the freeway. Potentially, this issue could be very dangerous.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!!

BTW, I now have the emissions dashboard light on. Don't know what this means, but will have to get this checked out too. I am thinking I need to go to a dealer have them run a full diagnostic on the vehicle to see if anything is not right.

I would get your fuel pressure checked and change your fuel filter a faulty fuel pump which will build up pressure on a cold start will gradually lose that pressure creating your sudden stop. the pump then will start building pressure again and the car will start, a sudden stop is deff. not your injectors that would give you a rough idle and stalling. same thing with the filter if that is clogged up will give u the same symptoms

Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 PM

I would get your fuel pressure checked and change your fuel filter a faulty fuel pump which will build up pressure on a cold start will gradually lose that pressure creating your sudden stop. the pump then will start building pressure again and the car will start, a sudden stop is deff. not your injectors that would give you a rough idle and stalling. same thing with the filter if that is clogged up will give u the same symptoms