Nissan Maxima The flagship luxury sedan from Nissan, combining performance with all of the modern touches you woudl expect in a luxury car.

VE engine ignition pack resistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 04:42 AM
Default VE engine ignition pack resistance

I’m working on a VE30DE engined Maxima, I’ve got a basic question re distributorless ignition:

Owner of car said he was driving and engine ‘just stopped’, didn’t report misfire, just sudden stop. Engine turns over, ok compression etc etc.

I have no spark at the plugs, so start to test ignition. First the power transitor, all the correct resistance readings across the unit, so checks out ok.

Then the individual coil packs. None of them give me any resistance (0 ohms) on the meter, testing between pins 1 & 2 (+ and -). I should be setting a reading of 0.8 ohms according to the manual.

How could it be that none of the coil packs report resistance? Has something else relating to ignition caused all the packs to fail?

I would have thought that one or two coil packs failing would be normal, not whole lot at once. But I’m pretty old school non-electronic mechanic so would appreciate advice.

I’m planning on testing crankshaft sensors tomorrow.

I don't have a scanner to check the engine codes, trying to organise one...

I’ve told the owner of the car he has no air filter in the car. He was quite surprised. I showed him the deposits of grit and rubbish on the inside of the intake manifold. He was even more surprised!

Old 07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Default RE: VE engine ignition pack resistance

...How could it be that none of the coil packs report resistance? ...
Beats me. Multimeters do fail also. Can u measure with it anythin around 10 ohms?

Install spare plug, ground it ... no spark? Not on any six coilpacks? ...then ECU is 'dead'.

Bad MAF may hang ECU, disconnect and test...

Check top left 'Favorite Links', clic below