Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

1999 Pathfinder locks itself

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Default 1999 Pathfinder locks itself

I own a 1999 and 1/2 Pathfinder SE. Recently it has started locking by itself. You can hear the relay cycling under the dash near the fuse box on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

If you disconnect the battery, and then reconnect, the problem will go away for about a 1/2 day. But then the locks will start tripping the locking relay about once every 10 minutes. After about a 1/2 hour, it will be locking faster than you can unlock it with the unlock switch on the door handle. To get out of the car, you have to hold the lock latch open while pulling on the door latch handle. The locks on all 5 doors lock.

To electronically lock the doors, there are three methods:
1. use the lock button on the key fob
2. use the lock button on either of the front doors
3. turn the outside door lock on the driver's side twice in the lock direction.

I have tried the following
a. removing the battery from the key fob
b. putting the key fob I had been using away and using a different key fob (and driving down the block)
c. disconnecting the connectors to the lock buttons in both front doors
d. disconnecting the connectors to the outside door lock switch (there is a switch that sits on the back of the lock cylinder.
e. pulling out the relay inside the relay both that sits near the front of the engine on the passenger side

None of these has corrected the situation. For one day I thought disconnecting the switch that is connected to the driver's door lock cylinder had worked, but
after driving around one day, it started up again.

I would just live with this situation, except there is no easy way to get into the back passenger doors because there is no lock cylinder on those doors. I have read that there is a "door lock timer" issue on older Nissans via this post on a different website..
http://www.q45.org/timers.html

...but it seems to apply only to 1990 to 1994 Nissans and Infiniti's. Also, I cannot find a "door lock timer" on my electrical schematics.

Any suggestions?