Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

2005 DIESEL PATHY INJECTOR PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Default 2005 DIESEL PATHY INJECTOR PROBLEM

Well Guys,

I have to say I'm impressed with Nissan UK!!! My Pathy is 5 months old and has done 5,500 miles. After two visits to my dealer to investigate noisy injectors and some rough running midrange my dealer couldn't find anything wrong and I expected to be told to "let it develop". My dealer then talked to Nissan UK and they told him to change all the injectors and pipework (at a cost of $1400 for parts and then 2 days labour on top). It took a week to get the parts and fit them, so Nissan UK hired me a brand new Primara until my Pathy was ready. I'm not sure if this is standard Nissan care or it's just because it's a new model and they want to thoroughly investigate every fault but it works for me!!!

Oh, and the problem seems to be cured. So far anyway....

Old 05-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Default RE: 2005 DIESEL PATHY INJECTOR PROBLEM

Errrrmmm, No!!

Noise (tapping similar to poor valve clearance) re-occured at 9,500 miles. To be honest the noise was improved but not entirely cured, but because no-one else could hear it, I'd convinced myself I was imagining it. I now have another theory about the improvement, but more of that later.

The dealer changed the injectors again. Apparently, Nissan are having some significant injector failure problems on this engine. But again, it helped but didn't cure the problem. Deaper investigation revealed compression s leaking past one piston and pressurising the crankcase. The pressure is escaping via the dipstick. So they are now investigating that problem. I'll keep you posted on the result.

As for my earlier theory, the dealer changed the oil level sensor, which was faulty, at the same time as the injectors, which meant he had to do an oil change as well. I now think the oil change quietened the tapping, not the injector change. Especially if the tapping turns out to be piston slap - which in modern engines is not necessarily serious - caused by slightly large piston skirt / cylinder bore clearance. Simply changing from one oil manufacturer to anotherl can drastically change this condition.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Default RE: 2005 DIESEL PATHY INJECTOR PROBLEM

In order to make this problem list corerctly, I'm closing this thread and opening a new one, called Piston Slap. Yup, they just confirmed it!!!