Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

2005 Pathfinder LE shimming

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Default 2005 Pathfinder LE shimming

Hi All,
I am the new owner of an '05 pathfinder LE....I also have a '03 Murano (Love the new nissan designs). I picked it up the '05 pathfinder last week from the dealer and love the truck, but have a problem with it shimming at higher speeds. It runs fine in local traffic but shims quite a bit at 60 - 80 MPH and if you hit a bump the steering feels very loose...what could be the cause of this??? HELP!!!
I took it to the dealer and they said the front tire was over inflated to 40lbs. so they blanced and filled the tires with the recommended tire pressure (35lbs.). Just this weekend I tested it on the highway and it still shims at higher speeds....I am taking it back to the dealer so they can diagnose it throughly....is it an alignment issue???
The truck is only a week old with 600 miles....should I talk with the sales person and request another model comparable to mine???
The manufactor date is 01/05.....is this a safe truck...since it is new model????
Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Old 07-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Default RE: 2005 Pathfinder LE shimming

Hi I wanted to update you all on my issue...
Well the dealer tried another pathfinder the same manufactoring date and found that the pathfinder did the same thing. So as an end result they took tires off a newer model and replaced mine. It has solved the problem.

Rich

Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the update Rich - sorry to hear about your experience but glad to hear it was resolved. I have an 05 LE purchased in May and also have the shimming from day one. It really feels unsafe at highway speeds especially over bumps. The whole truck sometimes sidesteps or skips on long sweeping turns on uneven surfaces. Thought it might be the shocks.

What tires did you have originally? What tires did they replace them with? Mine has General Grabber AW.

I've complained to the dealer but haven't had any success getting the problem fixed. May try to visit another dealer for a test drive to compare.

Really interested to know what tires you ended up with since I'm considering a tire change and/or upgrading the shocks to something stronger (Rancho like on the SE Off-Road perhaps)

Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

my advice, when a dealership just wont help, is to go to the regional management level...i worked for a dealership for a while, and when people would call and complain about the sales or service dept (i was in the business dept) i woudl tell them to call the corporate office, and that got things fixed..(and bad employees fired)

Old 01-08-2006, 05:26 PM

Hi folks, just adding my 2 penn'th to this post. I had terrible shimmy problems driving on tarmac with a Toyota Landcruiser that had chunky off-road tyres due to the large tread blocks each moving independently thus allowing the whole tyre to creep across the road - a bit like driving on marbles. I now have a 2005 Pathfinder on Goodyear Wranglers which are a road tyre developed for the BMW X5 and give true road tyre performance - and no shimmy!!!!

The Wranglers were on the Pathy from new by the way....