Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

91 Pathfinder dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 PM
SS
Default 91 Pathfinder dies while driving

It happened this morning while driving to work... I was exiting from an interstate 35 on a side street and suddenly the car would not go from the stop light. I can not understand what's wrong for about a second, then looking at the tach I find out the engine is not working [8D] I start it up and continue going. At the next stop light the same happens... I'm rolling at the middle of the road, then hear a scratchy metal noise, so I stopped. Turned on emergemsy flashers and got out of the car to see what's wrong. Five meters behind me I see a melat layer from a muffler - and it's mine... Strange I thought,... I picked it up, and got inside of the truck again. Started it up and went forward... But it just dies on me as soon as I let go the gas pedal. Like there is no idle at all... When it's rolling in gear - fine, when the car is not in motion or in neutral engine RPM's goes straight to zero and shuts off. I barely made it to work

The way back the car was just fine as always. What could that be? I'm going to try pulling any fault codes from the ECU but I have a feeling that there is none. I tried disconnecting the battery to see if car runs on alternator - and it does. Battery itself is 2002 but is seems just fine.

Could it be one of the engine control sensors? Perhaps someone had the same problem?

I know it's friday the 13th today =))) But hope there is another explanation for my problem?

thanks.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 PM
SS
Default RE: 91 Pathfinder dies while driving

checked fault codes - none. Started the car yesterday - fine. Today - the same problem, idle gets very very low but it was not dying this time, just misfiring and extremely low idle. I did diag again while it was doing that and ECU says everything is fine! [:@]

So, no one reads this forum at all? [X(]