Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

98 Pathfinder quit running and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Default 98 Pathfinder quit running and wont start

My pathfinder chugged a couple of times (like it was running outof fuel but tank is full) and then quit. Engine turns over but does not start.

Any ideas?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Default RE: 98 Pathfinder quit running and wont start

UPDATE: adding OBD II Codes to original message

Following codes were observed and feedback provided by the good folks at Autozone: (Still struggling with what action to take next...)
P0131 - The PCM has determined that the input voltage from the oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1 is too low for current operating conditions.
Suggested trouble shooting - The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust. The computer is receiving a low voltage indicating the system has a high content of oxygen.
Probably Causes:
[ol][*]Oxygen sensor defective[*]Fuel system running lean[*]Engine vacuum leak or mis-fire[*]Low fuel pressure-fuel pump defective[/ol]
P0151 - The PCM has determined that the input voltage from the oxygen sensor 1 in bank2 is too low for current operating conditions.

Same suggested trouble shooting as P0131

P1168 - (5 explanations)
1 - Fuel rail pressure sensor condition - Low pressure. ECM detected the fuel pressure was low for the operating condition
Probable Causes:
[ol][*]Defective fuel pump[*]Fuel filter clogged[*]Electricalcondition at fuel pump[*]Defective fuel rail pressure sensor[*]Defective fuel pressure regulator[/ol]
2 - Primary HO2S (No. 1) label low input
Probable causes
[ol][*]Open or short circuit condition[*]Poor electrical connection[*]Failed HO2S sensor[/ol]
3 - Fuel Rail Sensor in-range low failure

4 - Closed loop control (Bank 2)
Probable causes
[ol][*]Open or short circuit condition[*]Poor electrical connection[*]Failed HO2S 11 heater[/ol]
5 - Closed loop control (bank 2)
[ol][*]Open or short circuit condition[*]Failed HO2S21 sensor[/ol]

Old 07-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

the p0131 and p0151 would not effect the engine from not running but the p1168 would i would first check your fuel filte to make sure its not clogged if its flowing freely then i would check the pick up sock on the fuel pump to make sure its not clogged if the fuel filter is fine. but my guess is your fuel pump is clogged causing low fuel psi so check those and get back to us, your 02 sensors are probably bad and its probably time to change them but fix the fuel problem first cause the pcm might think your 02 sensors are bad cause of the lean fuel conditions that the clogged fuel filter is causing the 02 sensor codes to come on.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 PM

Thanks very much for the great advice. Performed the following:

Checked fuel pressure - was ok

Replaced fuel filter

Rremoved cap & rotor and polished the contact points

Engine cranks but no start

Checked for spark, none detected

So now my question is...for a mechanically inclined but not formally trained individual such as myself, is there anything elseI can do to chase this down?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

well i would replace the cap and rotor and if that doesnt fix the spark then your distributer is probably bad since its cam driven and fires the spark for the ignition system. also what was your fuel psi at?

Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Will replace the cap and rotor today and will report back.

Unfortunately, we did not have access to a fuel pressure gage, but felt pressure was ok as the it was sufficient to blow the plug out of the hose that we had inserted to stop leakage.

I can purchase a gage for about $30 if it is critical but think I will wait until I resolve the spark issue.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

just remember you have a check engine light code for low fuel psi and your fuel psi should be around 38-44psi so it is critical just to let you know.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Thanks for all of your help. We were decided that this was beyond our abilities and towed the Pathfinder to a repair shop. I will close out this post with the results when we get them to share in the knowledge base for the rest of the Nissan owners.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance and advice. It was extremely helpfull as it allowed us to exaust all options to find the problem ourselves before deciding to go to the shop with it.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Well, thanks again HXC_Nismo, you nailed it. It was the distributor. Not something I wanted to try and replace myself. Total cost at the local repair facility was $576.00.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

well im glad you got everything fixed, too bad you dont live in my area otherwise i would have had you take it to my repair shop and i would of fixed it for you personally.

Quick Reply: 98 Pathfinder quit running and wont start