Nissan Pathfinder This mid-sized SUV has been at the head of its class since its early years thanks to its abilities both on the road, and off.

Where is it and how hard to change? Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
gar
Default Where is it and how hard to change? Knock Sensor

I have a 1998 Pathfinder 6 cly. My engine light keeps coming on. I've reset it a few times and still comes on after about 2 weeks or so. It's code is P1448(Knock Sensor Bank 1)and (P0325 Evap Emissions) I replaced the fuel cap and it still comes on. I guess it must be the knock sensor as the computer says. The truck runs good and I don't see or feel anything different when the light comes on, so what else could this be? Where is the knock sensor located on the motor and how hard is it to get to it to replace? Someone sugguested this may be a oxagen sensor problem? I went to a parts store and they wanted $165 but on EBay it says for OEM for $50. That's a big difference in $$$ for the same part! Anyone ever had this part replaced and what to look out for? thanks Gar

Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Default RE: Where is it and how hard to change? Knock Sensor

Hey Gar, I'm no mechanic but I'll be damned if i didn't have the same issue with my 98 pathy. I had different error codes (p1444, p1336) but my scenario started similar- engine light on, no change in performance. Eventually I started to have these random sputters/hesitations in the engine, brief like a misfire, with a return to normal operation-hmmmm?. Then all at once (on new years eve of all nights) "it" broke down to a rough idling, no power slug. Towed it home and started to look into it. Did a tune up, learned about nissan evap systems - these pressurized charcoal boxes tend to break down/crack sending charcoal particulate down the lines to the evap sensors, after enough time and driving the box is cracked or the lines and sensors are clogged, sending out an error. There are Tech bulletins(specifically NTB00-085a) that should give you a better visual understanding. A few weekends later, I blew out the evap system and still had no answers for my rough idle so off to the mechanic. The culprit was a camshaft/crankshaft knock sensor failure....and where was it found? The distributor!!! Mechanic claimed you can't just replace the sensor, needed a whole remanufactured distributor, shop around since I found one for half of what the mechanic charged. My ride was at least running. My evap system still needs attention, but apparently you can find these canisters at the junkyard for cheap. Good luck!!