Nissan Quest This minivan offers an economical solution to those who want the size of an SUV, but with greater economy.

New member, new to me quest

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Default New member, new to me quest

Hi forum I'm chuck. I recently bought a 1996 Nissan quest XE with a 3.0 liter V6. Shes got about 200,000 miles on her. Right now here's what shes doing. When I shift to reverse or drive the engine clunks a little. I am guessing my motor mounts are shot? Also in park she idles ok, but when I try to rev her up in park she has a slight hesitation or miss. I just replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and air filter. I also checked the firing order from the cap to each plug. What could this hesitation be?

She has the same hesitation if I'm trying to speed up
while driving down the road.

The symptoms remind me of when one of my old atv's needed a carburetor rebuild... like a plugged jet or something.

She does wide open throttle nice but the rest of her power range sucks. While sitting in drive stopped she idles a little rough and when taking off she does that studder/ miss like maybe a vacuum leak?

Under the hood she appears to have all her vacuum lines intact and connected properly.

Shes been parked for the last 9 years and has been driven very little. As a matter of fact I ran her gas low till the fuel light came on then I added about 4 gallons of fresh gas to her... I plan on filling her up the rest of the way and adding some fuel treatment/injector cleaner to her tank pretty soon. Also when I opened the gas cap for the first time I smelled that old gas smell slightly...

Also when the engine is running at idle in park, should the egr valves hose outlet on top of it, should it have some kind of strong pressure either sucking or blowing? Out of the little teet that sits on top of the EGR valve? Attached below is the outlined area I am asking about because my current egr valve has no kind of blowing air or suction from it when the engines running and the hose is disconnected .

I just went over the vacuum lines diagram and everything is hooked up right.
I removed that hose from that teet and revved up the engine to 3500 rpms or so and I didnt feel any vacuum pressure on the hose end either...

Update: So I got curious and I went out and checked the primary and secondary parts of the coil on my quest. The primary checked out fine, but the secondary didn't even give me a reading with my multi meter. I figured I was doing it wrong maybe. So I took the coil to my local auto parts store and they did the exact same tests with their meter as I did right in front of me and the secondary failed. It wouldn't even give them a reading... So I am going to install a new coil later today and I will post the results... I also managed to replace my PCV valve by removing the air filter assembly and used a 3/4 in deep socket. The location of it was right on top near my EGR valve. Not real hard but its tight in there. My next repairs or checkup will be to get the vacuum system in order. I need to make sure my EGR and vent solenoid are ok. But yeah shes coming along.

Replaced the coil with a new one. Still hesitates and doesnt want to rev clean. I am thinking my EGR or vent solenoid may need replacing. Sucks nobody has any pointers....

Last edited by Chuckusa; 09-21-2019 at 10:14 PM.