Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

2005 sentra clunking noise when brakes applied

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Default 2005 sentra clunking noise when brakes applied

I dont know how to explain this but basically anytime i go in reverse when I hit the brakes there is a noticable clunking noise which happens again when i go forward and hit the brake only the first time, to make it happen again i have to go in reverse again. The dealership told me that it was normal???? and that they could lube the slides but they prefer to let them brake in on their own the car has 6000 miles on it shouldnt everything be broken in already? Also it never used to do it any ideas anyone the dealer ship near me seems like a bunch of morons.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Default RE: 2005 sentra clunking noise when brakes applied

my car does the samething, and the 3 dealers i took it too, told me the samething. they say it's completely normal, and 2 of my other friends told me that it also does it with their nissans. they lubed mine, and it went away until it rained. it seems that when it rains, that it tends to happen more, so it's on and off. mine sounds like something is grinding, and it goes like clunk, clunk, clunk, and clunk.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 PM

I took the car back to the dealer at 7500 miles and they took the brakes apart cleaned and lubed them and the noise is still there.....they are now ordering an axel spline (not sure what that is sorry) and they are hoping that this will correct the problem.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM

well after replacing the axel spline the noise was still there so they tried replacing the wheel bearing and again the noise is still there Im starting to smell a lemon they told me they have no idea what it is and that they called nissan and they have no idea but they want me to bring it back in so they can "tinker" with it which kind of irritates me if you dont know what it is leave it alone lol

Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 AM

do you think this could be a loose caliper that slides and gets to a spot where the locking bolt doesnt let the caliper slide any more?? i dont know but try sliding the caliper a little to see if its not tightened enough. my mechanic forgot to tighen mine when i got a replaced axle and the freaken thing just fell. had to replace everything... calipers, rotors, brakes, and axles. what a mess that was. well just throwing out ideas. keep us updated.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:56 AM

well this has been fun they have replaced the axel spline, subframe, clean and adjusted the calipers and brakes, then they tried putting some suspension piece on that a spec V has that the regular sentras do not, now they are going to replace the calipers but not before I file a lemon law suit this is riduculous and Nissan consumer affairs is impossible to deal with.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

do you have rear drum brakes or disc cause sometimes rear drum brake shoes fall apart and make a clunkin noise but if it is a rear disc brakes im not sure if the parking brake is through the calliper or if its a drum style inside the rotor hub. let me know cause to me it sounds like the a drum brake shoe linning has fallen apart. just to let you know about the lemon law if they cant fix the problem within 3 attempts then the dealer has to buy the car back and give you a new one, but if you live in Illinois it would not apply so what ive heard.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 PM

they are drums in the back, but the noise sounds like it is coming from the front and you can feel it in the floorboard. nissan consumer affairs screwed around with me for a month telling me that they were gonna help me to keep me from filing the paperwork for lemon law, so I just filed last week and now they have one more chance to fix it but good luck to them with all the **** they have done already and not fixed it oh well

Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

then to me it sounds like the wheel bearings are going bad if you hear the noise from the front. well hopefully they fix this time otherwise i would jump on them and tell them to give you a new car. let us know if they fix it rite this time.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:20 PM

well just to update......after dealing with nissan consumer affairs for two months they basically told me that they would not do anything for me but keep trying to fix it no new car no buyback NOTHING.....so i filed the state lemon law paperwork, within a day i received a letter offering me a replacement vehicle i called the lady (not at consumer affairs she was in the NE district office) and after dealing with her for a week she got sick of me and said do you just want us to buy it back HELL YA so the nissan is gone as of today what a horrible process i hope no one else goes through this but just a hint if you do DONT call consumer affairs just file you state lemon law paperwork its easier.

Quick Reply: 2005 sentra clunking noise when brakes applied