Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

!989 Sentra

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Default !989 Sentra

I just bought a 89 Sentra. Cheap alomst 200000 miles. I bought it for a commuter and it needs alittle(maybe more!!) work. Besides from the timing belt and water pump(which I plan to change ASAP, what should I be looking at? I got a torn boot on the front divers CV joint. Drop some info please!

also, when it gets up to speed the is a loud noise. I thought it was the exhaust but I'm thinking its something mechanical.Maybe somethings grinding or a bad axle?(hope not!)

Lastily. all I got was the ignition key.No doot key and the trunk lock is missing.What do I do go to the stealership or junkyard or what?

Thanks fellas,get the newbie straight.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: !989 Sentra

well you can get some rebuilt new cv axles on ebay or your local part store. but saw a few ebay store that have them for $50 each. check it out. also what kind of noise is it making cause possibly it could be an exhaust leak i dunno but tell me what kind of noise its makin.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks it turned out to be a bearing.I still have road noise coming in.none of the insulation and such are gone.I might have an exhaust problem. Its loun until it warms up. I need new shocks too do you know if they are hard to change.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

well your going to need to bring your new struts and your old ones to a shop so they can swap the springs over to your new struts and there is 3 bolt under the hood holding the front struts and 2 bolts holding the bottom part of the strut to the knuckle your going to need either a impact gun or a breaker bar cause the ones on the knuckle are pretty tight and make sure you use some rust penetrante like wd40 so you can break the bolts/nuts loose. the rear is identical to the front on the old B13 sentras the bolts holding the top part of the rear struts are accessable from the trunk probably behind the carpet along the inner quarter panel. but if your lowering your car your alignment will go out really bad, but if your putting your stock springs in you should nothing to worry about if your car already has good alignment. its a moderate experiance job to do buts it can be a pain if you never done it before.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:48 PM

Might want to consider giving it a tuneup as well.