Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

99 SENTRA HEATER CORE REMOVAL - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Default 99 SENTRA HEATER CORE REMOVAL - HELP!

How do I disconnect the A/C lines? Do I need a special tool or just a wrench? I am assuming these have to come off to get the box out.
1) Glove box area removed as you see here:

Yes I took the screws out to see if the bottom would just come out, but no go. Everyday when I check the car, there is a puddle of coolant on the floor. This is my last project on the car to get it on the road. Not sure if it's a bad clamp or the core is bad.

2) All bolts are out, leak seems to be coming from here...bad clamp somewhere?
[/align]

Old 03-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 SENTRA HEATER CORE REMOVAL - HELP!

you need to remove the heater hoses, and you need to evacuate the freon out of the system cause its preasurized, once you do that you should be able to remove the a/c lines with a normal wrench. you also might have to take out the dash cause there might be some bolt on top of the hvac box.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:30 PM

Okay, how doI evacuate the freon? Don't think there is a bolt, it's pretty loose except for the hose connection.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

you have to bring it to a shop and have them evacuate the freon with A/C machine cause you cant just let it go to atmosphere and you can possibly get frost bite if it touches your skin.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Freon = bad news... definitely worth having a shop deal with it even if you COULD do it yourself.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: gtcompscientist

Freon = bad news... definitely worth having a shop deal with it even if you COULD do it yourself.
Well, I can't take it to the shop, it's not running just yet. Also, am I right, I do need to disconnect these to get the box out...correct? I have to do this myself. Do I just use a wrench? I'll be doing this in a garage (shut) with a mask and gloves.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

I highly do not recommend you removing those a/c lines when there preasurized with freon its just as bad as carbon monoxide but it can give you bad frost bite cause all it takes is a couple seconds of it touching your skin to give you bad frost bite. if you cant drive the car cause of the heater hoses disconnected, why dont you loop the heater hoses on the motor and fill it with normal water and drive it down to the closest shop by you to get the freon removed proberly and safely.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM

I checked the lines and seems to have no freon in it. I'll have them pulled this weekend. Any idea what size the big line is? There are two bolts.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

how did you check the lines? did your a/c work before this or no. cause if it did blow even a little bit of cold air theres freon in it. also dont leave the a/c lines exposed to the atmosphere or your going to saturate your reciever dryer with water and when you get freon in the system it will freeze your entire a/c system including the a/c compressor. just try and cover up both a/c lines with a bag or anything to try and keep the moisture in the air out of the lines.
if there are two bolts im guessing that there either 10mm or 12mm

Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM

I released it with a screw driver by removing the top caps and a drop came out. Didn't seem to be any in there. I could care less if my A/C works as I never use it anyway. Gas mileage is important, and nothing beats having the windows down.

Jason

Quick Reply: 99 SENTRA HEATER CORE REMOVAL - HELP!