Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Has anybody done a CVT to Manual conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 10:04 AM
Default Has anybody done a CVT to Manual conversion?

Hello all

I have a 2013 Sentra that the stealer says it needs a 6K Reman CVT plus labor for installation and $$ for reprogramming.
I have found on my own some used and remanufactured CVT's in the 2-3K range and used reman manual for around 600-800
I am capable (and have done) several engine swaps and transmissions, but I have never performed a conversion.
The slightly crazy side of me is considering to just simply and completely stray away from these horrible troublesome CVT transmission and go manual.
The car is in great shape, no rust and very nice interior and fairly low mileage.

So here is where the crowd sourcing question comes in (thank you all in advance)
What steps / parts and potential complications am I missing?

1) Used Manual transmission
2) Flywheel
3) Likely a new clutch
4) Clutch master and slave cylinder
5) Manual Transmission mounts
6) Manual Transmission axels
7) Clutch pedal and mechanisms
8) Manual shifter and related pieces

What am I missing? anything computer related maybe?
Yes I know that the cost of all this will mount up.
But I see a couple of wrecked un-rebuildable manual transmission cars (same engine year) available at auction and if I can get one of these cheaply enough the total cost may be acceptable.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Scott

Old 01-08-2023, 03:42 PM

looks like your asking the wrong crowd. haha .Did you ever do it ? Bet it was a biotch if so ! Do you know the route of the ABS wheel sensor wire from the rear wheel on drivers side ? Thanks.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Scott_Cu
Hello all

I have a 2013 Sentra that the stealer says it needs a 6K Reman CVT plus labor for installation and $$ for reprogramming.
I have found on my own some used and remanufactured CVT's in the 2-3K range and used reman manual for around 600-800
I am capable (and have done) several engine swaps and transmissions, but I have never performed a conversion.
The slightly crazy side of me is considering to just simply and completely stray away from these horrible troublesome CVT transmission and go manual.
The car is in great shape, no rust and very nice interior and fairly low mileage as detected by running through the vin check https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder/nissan.

So here is where the crowd sourcing question comes in (thank you all in advance)
What steps / parts and potential complications am I missing?

1) Used Manual transmission
2) Flywheel
3) Likely a new clutch
4) Clutch master and slave cylinder
5) Manual Transmission mounts
6) Manual Transmission axels
7) Clutch pedal and mechanisms
8) Manual shifter and related pieces

What am I missing? anything computer related maybe?
Yes I know that the cost of all this will mount up.
But I see a couple of wrecked un-rebuildable manual transmission cars (same engine year) available at auction and if I can get one of these cheaply enough the total cost may be acceptable.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Scott

Oh, I believe the total amount could be very high

Last edited by DavidNoren; 03-07-2023 at 05:19 AM.