Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Rough running on cold start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Default Rough running on cold start?

I have a 2000 Sentra with the 1.8 liter. On cold starts the car will start up normally and than idle way down for a few minutes, sometimes it even stops. In the cases when it stops, again it starts normal than resumes running rough for a few minutes. The CEL just came on but I havent had a chance to have the codes pulled yet, just checking to see if this was a common problem or not. Also, when it is running rough, if you try to press the accelerator it lopes for a while, like it cant make up its mind than dies. Another common problem I would like to see if anyone has had to deal with is the dipstick. I was checking the oil yesterday and the darn handle broke off, leaving the dipstick stuck in the tube. I fixed it by drilling a 1/8 inch hole and screwing a wood screw in it and pulling it out, I have to go to the dealership tommorrow and pick one up. If this is common I may pick up two or three. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Rough running on cold start?

Have the exact same problems. I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE and the light came on several weeks ago. I have been experiencing cold starts. At first, it would take three trys to start the car and now it takes 8-9 trys. I had it tested at Autozone and 4 more places and they told me it is running lean and that my O2 sensors in the fron (Bank one and two) are out. So today we went to Autozone and purchased the do it yourself kit (O2), replaced them and haven't had a problem yet but it' still to soon to tell. The light is still on and I think I am going to buy a new gas cap next and see if that's the problem. Also, I have had to buy 3 dip sticks because everytime I take my car to get the oil changed; it breaks, so yes buy a few or make a better one.