Nissan Sentra The Sentra has grown to be one of the most popular cars ni the sport compact market with its powerful 4 cylinder engine and spacious interior.

Strange push button start problem 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021 | 08:38 AM
|
Default Strange push button start problem 2014

Last week I got a new warning light I've never seen- a Yellow car with a key in the middle. Car still started with the fob in my pocket, but I Figured the battery in the fob was going so I took the old battery out (2.9V so not very "dead") and put a new battery in. Now I can't start the car without touching the fob to the start button. Went through many posts looking for the problem, 90% said fix it by turning the key off/on 10 times. This is ridiculous since there is NO keyed ignition. Yesterday the fob unlocked my doors but wouldn't start the car without touching the button, then today it started up fine in my pocket but coming out of the store, I couldn't start it without touching the start button with the fob. Double checked the battery- 3.1V. full charge. Tried something else I found online:

Enter the car and leave the keyfob inside. Press the start button twice (to cycle from OFF to ACC to ON). DO NOT Press the brake! Now exit the car leaving the Keyfob inside, but take the backup door key with you. Close the door and insert the backup door key into the door lock. Turn to the left to lock the drivers door. You'll hear the locking mechanism. Now turn the key to the right to unlock the door. Again, you'll hear the unlocking mechanism. You can now remove the door key and reenter the car. Push the start button one more time (don't touch the brake) to turn it to the OFF mode. The Invalid key ID messages should now be gone and everything functioning normally.

which I did and it worked one day then randomly didn't work. The other fob is doing the same thing. I'm hoping it's not an ignition problem (super expensive) or a fob problem (still expensive) but a simple fix.
Anyone hear of this before?