Nissan Xterra The Xterra offers a more compact alternative to the Pathfinder, without compromising interior size, and with the optional supercharged engine, it is not all bark and no bite.

hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Default hissing noise

2002 Xterra, non-supercharged. Sometimes when accelerating during a passing situation I will hear a brief hissing sound from the engine...or AC. I have no idea what this might be. Other than this noise, it seems to be operating properly. Anyone have a similar problem?

Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Default RE: hissing noise

your probably hearing one of 2 things, either A. which i dont think it is, but could be is a vaccuum leak, dont really think you could hear that. or B. but its probably just your air intake gasping for air...check and change your air filter if need be.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks for you input. I will inspect the air filter and all hoses. One thing I forgot to add about the hiss....it almost sounded like the hissing that is made by an air brake, but not that loud. This noise seemed to pop up after I had a shop do some work on the car where they replaced the thermostat, radiator hoses, and rear brake shoes. Thanks again for your suggestions. I will post again with my findings.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mafcf7

Thanks for you input. I will inspect the air filter and all hoses. One thing I forgot to add about the hiss....it almost sounded like the hissing that is made by an air brake, but not that loud. This noise seemed to pop up after I had a shop do some work on the car where they replaced the thermostat, radiator hoses, and rear brake shoes. Thanks again for your suggestions. I will post again with my findings.
well with that being the case.....could be air in your cooling system...but i dont know why the noise would only happen under acceleration. let me know what you find out.

since they replaced the thermostat...make sure your coolant level is full