Off Topic Off Topic This is the place for our members to discuss NON-Nissan related topics. But, please do keep things clean and civil. Off Topic does not mean anything goes!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cranks when key is run position

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Default engine cranks when key is run position

ok so my friend asks him to help him with his 1974 ford f250 pickup and we are basically restoring this thing as much as we can. we justrebuilt the engine at schooland it runs great put a new tranny up to it and because it was an old farmer who had it beforehe did it had a lot of wiring issues like not charging but for the year that he had this thing he used to start it up drive 2 blocks to his highschoolthen the battery would die as he pulled up to ag class and he would park it throw a trickle charge on it then drive it home
retarded but hey w/e right
so rebuilt engine throw it in and turn the key and it fires but the starter stuvk and destroyed itself and the flywheel so we pulled the starter out and replaced the starter andmarred flywheel get it back in the truck and then i disengage the fuel tomake sure the key would work right andthe engine tries to crank over when u have the ignition switch in the "run" position and i have triedswitchin wires on the solenoid canging the solenoid and the ignition switch but still have the same problem hell we even changed out the wiring harnesswith one that we found at pick-n-pull we got the harness and he said he went thru it and checked to make sure there were no broken frayed or worn wires but still the exact same problem so everything is new in thestarter system
so im just stumped has anyone ever heard of anything similar any ideas what it could be am i over lookin something
thanks for all the help

Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: engine cranks when key is run position

have you changed the ignition keys? or the starter relay or it could even be a computer issue try thoses before you go and replace anyhting elc