Off Topic Off Topic This is the place for our members to discuss NON-Nissan related topics. But, please do keep things clean and civil. Off Topic does not mean anything goes!

HELP - Mechanic says he doesn't know what happened??? I am gutted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Default HELP - Mechanic says he doesn't know what happened??? I am gutted!!!

Guess what guys, I got my ECU chipped by a Mechanical Workshop(quite well known to most of us Aucklanders here). And when put in the car, had some issues as it was missing a tiny bit. We tested the car and everything else was fine except a slight jitter once in a while. So just as anyone would, gave the car with the ecu to the workshop for checking. I actually drove the car with no hassles to the workshop and gave it to them at 8am. Also asked them to change my starter motor as the brushes were worn.

Gave a call to check at midday, was told starter has been changed and no other issues found with the car at all. Car runs fine. Workshop not yet sure what the issue was/is.

Yes, at midday everything is FINE.

I go back to the workshop to pick up the car at the end of the day, and what do I find. They are in the process of taking the rocker cover off. Upon inquiring, I am told that the cars lost compression in ALL THE FOUR CYLINDERS suddenly. They checked and said, ALL the inlet valves are open, hence no compression. They diagnose that its the hydraulic lifters. I was skeptical. I asked them to fix it.

So the second day, they call me back and say they changed the lifters but now they found that actually its all the inlet valves are stuck open. And they don't know how it happened, reckon they suddenly decided to seize themselves.
I go in to check and was told to tow the car away. I towed the car home and got 3 professional mechanics to check it.

Guess what, all the inlet valves are bent for sure and possibly the exhaust ones too. The timing is out as well.

Now, we all know that the car was confirmed fine at midday on the first day and now all this.

I asked the workshop to simply fix my car and we could forget all this ever happened. Surprise, surprise!!! They tell me that they will NOT DO it and their explanation is that they don't know what happened but they didn't do it.

Now the thing is, the car was perfect before the day to the workshop, the car was fine half the day when it was in the workshop but suddenly now its not.

Well, now I have to take the matter to court and sort it out there. I am giving the guy a chance to fix it and its up to him.

Now, I really don't think its fair if this happens to anyone of us. Certainly not a cheap issue. Oh, by the way its a new conversion SR20det, only done 55,000kms. And it was guaranteed and checked the wrecker who sold it to me and checked, tested and confirmed by the mechanic who installed it. I am just wondering what you guys opinion is and whether I should expose this workshop. I believe there are other members here who have faced the similar issues with this workshop.

What do you guys think? I bet you all are screaming to know which workshop it is.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELP - Mechanic says he doesn't know what happened??? I am gutted!!!

EXPOSE THEM!!!! i had a similar issue with a 1991 pathfinder it just went in for a tune up.....the the managed to bend all my valves and seize the engine i tried to get a refund for the tune up and they said no way pay up or we scrap the car so i called the news staion down the road and the did a story on it and turns out over150 ppl got jipped by these guysi won my court case and the bought me a new engine and i didnt pay one dime