General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1988 pickup auto tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Default 1988 pickup auto tranny problem

I have a 88 nissan pickup with the 4cyl and auto tranny. when you put it in reverse the truck wont move. it acts like you put a tranny brake on it. it doesnt rev free and you cant push it either direction in reverse. it also goes like its in drive when in neutral. after driving the truck for a while i can put it in nuetral while going down the highway and it revs free. it also acts like its in gear in park but wont move b/c of the parking claw. I am not familiar with truck as its my brothers. Do we have any auto tranny experts on here? i checked the linkage out and it apears to be operating fine. I havent pulled the linkage loose and tried shifting it under the truck. i dont trust the e-brake and need another person to hold the brake for that. To back up the truck i put it in neutral with engine off and push it backwards. thats getting old.

I tried searching but couldnt find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Default RE: 1988 pickup auto tranny problem

Maybe a problem with the valve body? You could try having the tranny flushed and serviced I suppose. Might help, might not. Best bet would be to call a tranny shop and get there oppinion.

Let us know,

Brad

Old 10-15-2005, 12:39 PM

the fluid was very old and burnt. i almost didnt change it in fear of the clutches not holding with the new fluid. i took my chances and changed it out and replaced the filter. fluid looked like crap and clutch material buildup in the pan is what i found. i cleaned it up. that didn't fix anything. i really dont want to take it to a shop b/c it would probably cost more than the trucks worth.

thanks

Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Don't blame you for not wanting to take it to a shop. That's why I suggested calling them. Tell them the story and see what they say. Some places are real nice and will tell you up front what they think. Of course they're gonna say bring it in but that's when you give the old "It's probably not worth putting a new tranny in it but I was just wondering if it sounded like there was even a chance it could be saved." Or something to that effect.

Anyway, I can only think of two other opptions.

Cheapest option: Try putting an additive in like "Trans-X" maybe. It says it guarantees it will fix any shifting problems or you money back. Of course, it also might finish off what's left of your tranny. That's one of the risks I guess.

Not cheapest option: Try to find a used tranny somewhere and put it in.

So, I guess your choices are trying to save it or replace it. My vote would be to replace it. Even if the tranny addditive worked, who knows how long it's got left. A day, a month, a year? Course, you take the same risk with a used tranny too but at least the odds are better.

Wish I could help more,

Brad

Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 PM

i will give a few shops a call. Not really fond of the magical additives. It's like buying snake oil. lol

If all else fails, i will just rebuild myself. I have built many engines and worked on every other aspect of a car. just never an auto tranny.

thanks for the help.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:51 PM

Snake oil. Ha, Ha. Agree with you, I don't like additives either. Careful if you do choose to rebuild. Get the manuals, maybe even a video. Auto trannies can be tricky.

Hope all goes well,

Brad