General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Altima no start- fuel and fire but no ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Default 2000 Altima no start- fuel and fire but no ignition

2000 Altima ran fine for about 120k but now I have a no start situation.

Replaced cap, rotor, plugs, plugwires, and airfilter (needed to be done anyways). A good shot of starting fluid down the intake and it will fire for several seconds but will not catch. I can hear the fuel pump whiring when the key turns. Had it towed thinking perhpas I had a fuel pump issue. Mechanic checked fuel flow and spark- says it has fuel and fire but no ignition. He reports that it has spark but the spark is erratic. Still waiting on the diagnosis.

Possible timing issue- crank sensor gone out? Cam sensor gone out? Timing chain jumped? Anyone out there have decent experience at the likelyhood of either of these or can think of something else I missed?

Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: 2000 Altima no start- fuel and fire but no ignition

Figured out the problem. Turns out I had lost my keys while on holiday and I was using my spare key (which came with the car from a used lot 3 years ago). The chip in the spare wasn't programmed or was programmed incorrectly. There is a security light on the dash but it is positioned low next to the steering column and you can't see it unless the wheel is turned 45-90 degrees or you are looking around the wheel.

So, if you have spare keys check them and make sure they work.