General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Maxima FREAKY - headlight comes on and discharges battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Default 93 Maxima FREAKY - headlight comes on and discharges battery

I know this is going to sound wierd and it sure has baffled a few mechanics but unfortunately my car is suffering from this strange dilema that only humors the mechanics who look at it. My headlight (only the left driver side) comes on automatically, sometimes 10 0r 15 minutes after I turn off my car and discharges my battery.... Its bizzare but true ... After I jumped th car and ran it for a whole day to re-charge the batter I made sure that when I turned my car off if I have not left anything on or any door ajar .... and the only thing that I can see is the security light slowly blinking, like it should, and 15 or 30 minutes.... BAM the left driver side headlight (HI Beam I think) came on by itself .... so I disconnected the wiring harness to the headlight hoping that would take care of the discharge temorarlily but the battery was dead the next day .... I have also tried pulling out the Hi Beam fuses but my battery has discharged 4 times now and I am running out of options .... any insights into this bizzare issue would be greatly appreciated .... Its a 1993 Maxima - GXE. Thanks for your help

Old 09-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Default RE: 93 Maxima FREAKY - headlight comes on and discharges battery

You can fix this yourself Here is How. First the head light turn on one and then the other. To see this turn on the switch real real slow. ALSO listen for the relays to make a sound this will be used locate the relays . The Relays are inside behind the kick pannel or under the hood by the battery. Now for switch sides If the light moves sides replace both relays. The spring in the relay is weak. Take the relay to any auto part store and get two replace BOTH. If that did not fix the freaky light On day were you will not need Light. Test the head light switch by Remove the steering wheel trim screws with a phillip screw driver put screws in plastic bag an keep for reinstallation later. Follow from the head light switch down to the plug for the headlights Unplug. drive car. If lights stay off the switch is internally shorting. Replace the switch. Have a good day 73s N6RRJ retired Master Tech.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Default RE: 93 Maxima FREAKY - headlight comes on and discharges battery

Thanks for the advice. I am not able to find the headlight relays. There were only 2 fuses for the headlights and they are both fine. I have also researced the haynes manual and there is no mention of a headlight relay. The only thing I found was one Bulb check relay . could that be the one ???
Thanks for your help

[IMG]local://upfiles/3492/44987C71E4144237A12F788D162BB6D0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3492/71CDDB3A06824CA0B3C64A157FF33BAD.jpg[/IMG]