Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

Headlight Aiming...and more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:12 PM
DSF
Default Headlight Aiming...and more.

Can anybody give me some detailed instructions on how to aim the headlights(both high and low beams) on a 1990 ZX? I have had the low beam Halogen projector bulbs replaced with 6000K after-market HID. The rest is stock. The low beams are too low. Beam patterns seem to cross in the middle. Also...the height of both the low beams and the high beams are the same. The high beams do have a much broader illumination beam pattern...but are at the same height as the low projectors? That can't be correct, can it? The high's appear very yellow compared to low HID 6000K...thinking of switching them over to silverstars. Also, when switching from low beams to high beams the low projectors shut off. So, if I was to "flash to pass" the lows blink off then back on...this has got to be hard on the ballasts. I have been told that all after market ballasts are not meant to be rapidly cycled.

So...I would be very appreciative is some of you experts out there could help out. I really would like to:

*Aim my low beams better
*Raise my high beams
*If possible, pay someone to rewire lows to remain on when using high beams.

I am aware of the "aiming device kit" stored in the back of the car...but do not know how to use it. I presume it guides you to set to "factory recommended specifications"...but I still would not know how to actually change the aim to what the devices recommend. Where are the adjusting set screws?

This is a 1990 ZX with 42 clicks on the clock. All mint. Car was in storage and now the mechanics have all been restored.

I am located in the Minneapolis, MN area so if anyone, local, there is in a position to help me...I would love to meet you.

I just got thisvehicle, but it has been in the family since delivery.

Apologize for the length and detail of this post. Just got the car from a sibling. And...have lots of questions.

Thank you!