General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Default brake problem

Hi,
I have a 1994 primera 1.6i manual with catalyst.

I have had a long standing problem with the brakes although when it started, I didn't know what I think is the problem with it. I while back (about 6 months), I had a problem with the brakes making a constant squealing noise when driving (i.e. NOT when barking but driving). I eventually had to replace the brakes and discs on all four wheels as the discs were too worn. I put very good quality ferodo brakes all round and for a while it seemed, it was fine; Recently, I've been getting a smell from the back wheel when I get out of it after a drive, and noticed that the rear drivers side wheel was very hot, and the passenger side front was slightly warmer that the rest. I already understand that they are connected together from the master cylinder so this was making me worry that it was the master cylinder that was faulty.
However, I got into it to day to the sound of binding metal which from experience is the pads down to the metal. I thought surely not as they haven't been in long enough and I haven't done that many miles. I removed all the wheels to have a look and the rear drivers wheel had no friction material left on the pad and was just the bare metal, but the rest of the wheels have just normal wear.
i am thinking it is a stuck caliper, but before i go and replace it, can anyone tell me if there is anything else in the barking system that can make just one caliper stick. I am thinking about the anti-lock system(if indeed this works on both the front and rear brakes as I am not sure about that), or in particular the rear load sensing valve (could it be stuck slightly closed and make the caliper stick.
I am looking to do the repair this weekend (Friday 21st, March), so any help before then would be so appreciated. I still haven't decided whether it is better to get a second-hand part from the scrap yard of get a new pattern part as the genuine Nissan part will be too expensive for me. I hope someone can help me more with this.
Thanks in advance.
Soundssupreme.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Default RE: brake problem

It sounds to me like either a bad wheel bearing like someone else suggested; or brake pads/shoes that are worn so that it's steel on steel. Take your car to a good service station and have the nissan parts checked out. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Default RE: brake problem

i agree. but one thing leads to another esp when your riding a 14 yr old car.the anti-lockretofit might cost youyour arm and leg not only upfront but also on the long-term.old nissans die hard and rides well if it's still worth the keep.