General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electric prob won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Default electric prob won't start

91 nissan pickup
won't start. battery good, changed spark plugs, wire brushed contacts in distrib
lights work radio, blinkers ect. no cranking at all no clicking or anything.
bad starter? no sound at all. battery tester says its ok.
how do you check for a bad starter. I have a test light and a volt meter, but have just started using them.
have little car experience.
work on Mercedes 83 that runs on vegetable oil. did conversion and basic mait stuff, but have never worked on my pickup.
had a total power failure with mercedes due to rusty ground wire from neg terminal to body of car. sanded and cleaned that and it cranked right up.
been raining last few weeks
maybe a short somewhere.
thanks from a newbie
chris

Old 02-19-2006, 03:42 PM
md
Default RE: electric prob won't start

not worked on nissan you have but you have 2 connections on your starter, the one with the thicker wire should have 12 volts. and the smaller of the 2 should have 12 volts when starter operated, also checkn for dirty corroded terminals

Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: electric prob won't start

your starters brushes are probably seized up, there is a quick test you can do if you have power to the starter take a long screw driver or pry bar and hit it with a hammer not hard just tap the case of the starter a couple of times and then try and start it if it starts your starter is bad and trust me it will do it again to where you have to tap the case. well let me know how it goes but to me it sounds like the starter but do that test that i just told you to be sure if that dosnt work then use a push button starter or use a screw driver and jump the power wire with the S Terminal connector and that should crank her over.