General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help with wipers - frontier

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Default need help with wipers - frontier

hello

I am new to the forum. I have a 98 nissan frontier and my wipers have stopped working. Was using the wipers then heard a loud clunk in the wiper area and they stopped moving. You can still hear the wiper motor working but thw wipers do not move. The wipers can be moved by hand the full spectrum of their swing, free and easy to move. Did I break a belt?? Any idea on what is involved in fixing this and what parts I will need?? thanks in advance for any help.

doug

Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: need help with wipers - frontier

Is the linkage still attached ?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 AM

yeah I did some checking and the two wipers are connected fine to each other and are stable on the pivots. what has happened is the white bushing on the passenger side connecting rod keeps popping out of the socket where it is supposed to be - on the short arm attached to the actual motor. the motor is fine and I can pop the white bushing (not sure of terminology here) BACK INTO THE **** on the short are of the motor and it gets the wipers working again but it keeps popping out. worn?? what actual part do I need here so I can look on the internet or call nissan. I most likely can fix it myself if I get the correct part. thanks for your help if you know what I am looking for. doug

Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

I thought that is what you were going to say ..... you need a new arm.....it's gonna come with the new bushing.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 AM

further research today indicates the problem seems to be with the connecting rod on the passenger side. This rrod has two white caps on each end that "pop" over teh appropriate ***** - the one popping onot the short arm of the wiper motor has a crack in it and that is why it wont stay seated. when looking for this connecting rod - what is this called in auto parts terminology?? is the passenger the right side??? thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Right side is passenger...... it's called a wiper link / arm / rod

Old 06-13-2007, 10:19 AM

i have the same problem with my Frontier, but I dont know how to even remove the plastic cover that allows access to the assembly so that I can try to fix it. Can you please help me out and tell me how I can remove the plastic covers to gain access and try to repair myself?

Thanks,
Lincoln
lcassis@hvc.rr. com

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

remove the wiper arms and then there are a couple screws and then you should be able to pull that plastic cover off. your going to have to buy the new rod cause they dont sell the plastic white piece but there will be a new one with the rod.