General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Nissan Micra Backfiring and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Default Nissan Micra Backfiring and loss of power

Hi all, I have a 1986 Nissan Micra, has been running great up till recently. When I started it this morning, it wouldn't idle, had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling. Running really rough, even when it warmed up, I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep it from stalling. When I try to drive, it has a loss of power, can hardly climb the hill to my house anymore. I put some carb cleaner in, thinking there might be moisture there, no help. When ever I take my foot off the accelerator, it backfires, when I'm driving, it sounds like its popping popcorn or something. Drove it around the block a few times, then it made a "poof" sound from the motor, then it died, and won't start anymore. The oil light came on briefly as well, then turned off a few minutes before it died. I checked the oil and the coolant, and there both fine. I am just wondering if anyone can give my any idea where to start, distributor maybe?? Thanks for any info.

John

Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Default RE: Nissan Micra Backfiring and loss of power

Well, I had a friend of mine look at it for me, he seems to think it is the fuel pump, do you think that a faulty fuel pump could cause these symptoms??

Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Default RE: Nissan Micra Backfiring and loss of power

Sounds to me like it jumped timing. How many miles are on engine? I'm not sure if you have a timing belt or a chain. Either way, especially with a belt, it can jump timing by a gear or two and act like you describe.