General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tranmission Selector

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Default Tranmission Selector

I Have a 1995 nissan altima with 130k miles, automatic GXE.

I'm worried about my transmission selector. Everytime I try to start my altima, the car doesn't turn at all. I have to move the transmission selector in and out of P, or shake the selector a lot before the car can turn. Sometimes I need to put the transmission into N, then start the car.

Can somebody tell me what I can do so I can start the car properly without messing around with the selector?

Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Default RE: Tranmission Selector

The transmission selector is at the top of the problem your netural safty switch is going out, your are also not turning on the back up lights. This switch is under the caron the side of the transmission. Where the selector meets the transmission, it is bolted to the transmission and is adjustable after you install a new one, from ANY Auto parts. BLOCK TIRES SET E BRAKE.. PUT IN " N " AND REPLACE THE SWITCH. This will take about one hour and save you problems. You can take to a non dealer pay someone to do this. Cost alot more. Good Luck ..might be a dealer product only. So says the local parts store>> N6RRJ