General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vent Control issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Default Vent Control issues

Hi.

I am experiencing some frustrating issues with my vent control. I have a 2003 Nissan Xterra. I first noticed the issue when operating my A/C, however just the other day I saw the same thing with my heater.

What I am experiencing appears to be a problem with the vent control where the baffles won't open or will not adjust to the proper vents. I can be driving along with everything fine and then I'll notice that the airflow out my vents has dropped to a trickle, like the vents are blocked. I can adjust the fan speed from low to high but it makes no difference. I can hear the fan speed changing, but the air flow is still as though the vent is blocked and the air just trickles out.

Adjusting the vent control from the dash vents to defrost to the floor vents and back has at times seemed to help, but most times not. I'll get to where I'm going, and a few minutes later when I get back in my car it's sometimes all working again.

My question is how do I fix this?

Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Vent Control issues

is it under warranty?

Old 12-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Yes, it is under warranty.

I haven't had anything but subpar experiences with the service department at the dealership (including them failing to return my calls the last 2 weeks) so I wanted to understand the issue as best I could before I took it to them. I wanted to be as informed as I could in the event they shrugged me off or fed me a line.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM

It sounds as if the vent of mode flap in the fan /ac box has come undone. It is manual air correct? I haven't heard of many frontier/xterras having control cable problems. What happens is the baffle or clip from the cable breaks. Used to be a regular problem w/ sentras. Similar control systems. If its under warranty take it in.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 PM

Thanks, Devo...that info will surely help when going back to the dealer!