General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibration in rear at 65mph+

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 03:44 AM
Default Vibration in rear at 65mph+

I just bought an 05 Frontier LE 4x4. My problem is that it has a pretty bad vibration in the rear end when it reaches 65mph. I took it in and they balance all four tires but it didn't seem to help, infact it is getting a bit worst. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem...I love my truck but it is very frustrating to me that I paid that much money and possibly purchased a lemon!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Default RE: Vibration in rear at 65mph+

have you had it checked for alignment?

Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 PM

I'd have them check for an out of round tire or a bent or damaged rim. All the balancing in the world won't help that. Many times they don't look too close when they balance tires so it could easily have gotten passed them. If those are OK, take a look at the drive line for a bad U-joint or something. New or not, it happens.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks Brad, I have had a little sigh of relief reading your reply. I have never bought a new vehicle, and probly won't again in this lifetime, so I have been worried about this since I brought the truck home. Thanks again, Pinkley.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 PM

No, I haven't had them check for aliegnment. Thank you for your suggestion. I will be taking the truck in Friday. I will keep you posted. Thanks again, Pinkley.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Oh, just another word. Since it is a new vehicle, they MUST fix it. And it has to be fixed to the point that you are happy, not them. Doesn't matter if they think it's OK, all that matters is whether or not you think it's OK. Also, if you take it back three times for the same problem, (I believe... check with your local BBB) you can demand another vehicle or your money back. The lemon law!!!

OK,OK, it probably won't come to that. I'm just saying, don't take any guff off of them. It's just that there's a few dealers out there that don't care you know. But I'm sure your's is fine.

Enjoy your new rig,

Brad

Old 09-22-2005, 02:16 AM

Thanks again.....I guess I should be documenting all of this. So far the service dept. seems very attentive, but that is good to know if I need to throw my weight around so to speak. I live in Oregon and I will research our "Lemon Law" just incase.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 PM

[&o]
Ok.....so here's the scoop. I took the truck in Saturday to have the all weather package put on and the mechanic to check out the vibration. When I got there I talked the service manager, again, about the problem. I told him, "the vibration starts about 65mph and gets worst at 70." He informed me that his machanic couldn't drive the truck that fast because it was a liability. I quickly replied that, "well I will take him for a ride and I will be responsible. He was reluctant but I insisted.
The machanic agreed right away that there was a problem. I told him that I had been sent to the local tire company approx. 2 weeks earlier and that they had balance all four tire and said that there wasn't a problem with the tires or rims. After a few questions he said that it may be a faulty shock.
This is where it gets alittle tricky. I returned at 5:00pm just missing the machanic. The service manager and the girl that works in there told me that the machanic asked that I call him Monday morning. When I asked them what the guy had done to correct the problem they said they didn't know and that they guessed it was a "secret". But, the service manager insisted that the vibration had been taken care of.
So, here I am anxiously waiting to take my truck for a ride, vibration free of course.
The ride was better.....but the vibration, however slight, is still there.
I'm now very anxious to talk to the guy that worked on it. Nothing like wishing your weekend away![:'(]

Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Well first off, let's see what the mechanic has to say. That being said I wonder what kind of tires you have on your truck? I only ask because if they're ther big romper stomper kind, they're gonna vibrate a little no matter what. Them big old knarly tires ain't perfectly smooth and are gonna vibrate/buzz a little you know. It's just the way they are. However, if they're just regular tires then they should be smooth as silk. Anyway, here's what I would do next. Have them rotate the tires, front to rear. Drive it at 65-70 and see how the vibration is then? If it transfers to the front, it's one of the tires. No doubt about it. If a bad tire is transfered to the front, the vibration will come with it and you'll feel it in the steering wheel. However, if it stays in the rear something else is causing the vibration. In other words, it has nothing to do with the tires. Then, you give them the "I've had just about enough of this look" when you take it back. After all, it's new and you shouldn't have to put up with this kinda thing. See if that lites their fire a little.

Let us know what happens,

Brad

Old 09-27-2005, 02:01 AM

You were thinking on the same lines as me Brad!! When I drove away from the dealership I could feel the vib. in the steering at about 10mph. I immediately knew that he had rotated the back to the front. Still being a little skeptical, I belive the problem may be solved.
I called Rick, (machanic), this morning and I said, "before you say anything to influence my report I would like to tell you what I think you did with the truck." When I mentioned that he had rotated the tires he said that he was relieved that the vib. was in the front. Reguardless of what the local tire company had said previous, he believes it is a bad tire.[&o]
I swear I could have saved us all alot of time and money on this one. I have had tires do this before and, cross your fingers, I'm relatively sure that that is the problem.
Wednesday I have an appointment with a different tire company, apparently they supply the brand of rubber that comes with the Frontier, and they are going to check out the tires. OH MY GOD!!!
If this doesn't correct the problem I may go Postal of these peps.

P.S. The tires are a highway tire that are stock. I couldn't stand those rompers with the vib. I'd go NUTS!!

Once again, thanks for the replies and I will let you know.

Quick Reply: Vibration in rear at 65mph+