General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibration in rear at 65mph+

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Vibration in rear at 65mph+

Yesterday morning, Oct. 24th, I called Nissan USA again...added to my novel and informed them that I was tired of being a nice guy and I wanted a new truck. The guy that I talked to took down more notes and told me that a rep. from a different dept. would be calling me on Oct. 25. The person needed time to review my case. I told him fine but that I would be going over to the Dealership and dropping off the truck no matter what. Once again when I mentioned that I had been sent out three times to a different businesses for warranty work and had not received one work order from the dealer the person, Greg ext. 3878, asked me why that was. I told him that that was the question of the month and I didn't know the answer.

At 12:45, Oct 24, I arrived at the Nissan dealership. I walked into the service dept. very quietly and told the girl at the desk that my truck was not fixed. The manager was at his desk and heard what I had said. He told me that he was going to take it for a test ride and for me to just leave it with them. I told him that that was a well and good but that I had called Nissan USA and told them I wanted a new truck....that I had spent why to much time and money bringing it back over and getting little to no relief over the situation. He said that was fine and that it would be up to Nissan if I were to receive a new vehicle. I asked what would happen in that case and he said, "I don't know it has never happened before." (Just to mention that was a bit of attitude in that statement.) I told him that incase it doesn't work out to my favor I wanted to show him the damage to the rims. We both went out and did a walk around to check. He immediately agreed that the front left rim had been damaged by the tire company. As we check the rest of them I notice that the other three were also damaged. They were scratched around were the bolts are and had rust on them already. When I asked him about the replacement of the wheels he told me that "Stampers, (tire company), were responsible for the damage and they would have to fix them. Now call me crazy but isn't that the responsibility of the dealer to fix what warranty work they have contracted out???
So we went back in the building while I waited for the car that was promised me. I noticed that the girl at the counter was not at ease and she left the room twice as she appeared to be looking for something. The third time she came back in she whispered something to the manager and he shook his head yes. So she left the room again....when she came back in she was carrying a balloon. I asked her if she had to get a used car for me to drive and she said that, "all our loaner cars were out and that she would get me one off the lot. I didn't care I just didn't want to be standed 35 miles from home. So she handed me the keys.

I went out and got all my personal belongings out of the truck and put the stuff in the car. I noticed that the mechanic, Rick was standing across the lot taking a break so I thought I would say hello. I also wanted to let him know that I had requested a new truck and that the vibration in my truck had not been fixed and that I could feel the vib. at speeds as low as 25 mph now. He told me that it had to be the original rims that were on the truck. I told him that it didn't go away after the rims were replaced for about 10 days. It was better but it was still there. Right then one of the service dept. girls was bringing in a 05 Titan with a serious popping noise coming for the rear of the truck. I looked at Rick and he said it was the third one that they had to replace, that the rear ends had gone out in them. That was a weird one. Not that that is the problem my truck is facing....but that the condition of that truck had gotten as bad as it sound when it limped into the bay.

I said my goodbyes and got into the little car they had provided. I started the car and girl came running out to me and said, "I just noticed that there are no plates on that car, we had a different car for you to take. It's right over there." I looked and some guy was just pulling in in the other loaner car that I had seen once before. My question would be, "When she was filling out the papers on the loaner car...what did she put in the spot were the lic. plate # goes???" I thing these people have a problem with telling the truth.

So now it is a waiting game....waiting for Nissan USA to call. Like I said before, I love my truck, but at this point I can't trust that it will be healthy throughout it's life. I want a new truck...that what I purchased[>:]

Old 10-27-2005, 11:33 PM

Oct. 27, 2005

This morning I got a call from Nissan USA. The same person, Greg, was on the other end of the line. This was the first contact I have had since I dropped the truck off on Tuesday, the 25th. Greg proceeded to tell me that the mechanic and the service manager both had taken the truck for a test drive and said that there was no vibration and that I could take back the loaner car and get my truck. I told him that I suppected that he was going to say that. Also that I was not happy with that decision and I know that there is a vibration. I told him that I had a friend of mine that the truck for a ride on Sunday, the 23rd, and he felt it about a 1.5 miles out of town. He happens to have an 05 Frontier and said that his doesn’t vibrate like that. Then I asked if it were possible for me to drive the S.M. and show him what I was talking about. He said that would be fine.

I arrived at the dealership about 1:00pm. I spoke with John, S.M., and asked if he would go for a test ride. He said that would be fine but he was right in the middle of eating his lunch. I told him not to hurry I would wait in the lounge area.
About 10 minutes later he came out and we, including a mechanic, took off. I was driving, Bruce the mechanic was in the front with me and John in the back. We headed Southeast on Hwy 101 to Hwy 42 and back. I could feel the vibration periodically the whole trip. When we got about 2 miles from town it was shaking hard enough that the tech. finally said, “I think it is the road go ahead and change lanes.” (This was accually the second time he had said that. The first time was on the way out and the vibration did subside somewhat when we changed lanes.) This time, however, it kept on shaking. I could feel it most in my back and when I touched the door. I proceeded to tell them both that it was intermittent and that on a scale of 0-10 that was a 6 to 7. I also told them that sometimes it is worse when I go around a corner and/or hit a bump. It doesn’t make any sence to me that it is a tire or rim otherwise it would be continuous no matter what. Bruce then made the comment that he though it was a shock but there was really no way of testing them. This whole time John hardly said a word. He did, however, ask Bruce, “what is next step???” At that point I assumed that we was admitting to the fact that he did feel the vibration but he didn’t come right out and say anything.

When we pulled back into the dealership John told me to go ahead and take the truck home and that they would have to contact the Nissan Techs. again and he would let me know.

I asked John again about my wheels being damaged and he said, again, that Stampers would be responsible for fixing them. When I left the lot I promptly drove to Stampers and talked to the Asst. Manager. He took a look at the wheels and said that they would replace them. He also said that his company was getting the short end of the stick but he didn’t think that Nissan would take care of the problem and he didn’t think that I should be punished for buying a new truck. I told him that I was very appreciative and that I wanted to wait until Nissan worked on the truck once more before we put the wheels on. I don’t want to give them another chance to damage the new wheels.

So this was the fifth time that my truck has been worked on and no one seems to know what is wrong with it. This is such a rollercoaster ride. [&o]

Old 11-01-2005, 01:34 AM

So now it is Oct. 31st and I did not get a call from the service manager this morning so I contacted a lawyer. He advised me that I should get some different opinions/diagnosis from other machanics. The reason being is that Nissan will claim that there is not a problem with the vehicle. And if I don't get results within a month to retain a lawyer.

So I dropped by a few of the local car garages to get second, third and forth opinions. The first machanic that went for a ride told me that he felt the vibration in the back almost immediately when we took off. I drove out to the highway and it really started in about 50mph and then cont. untill I hit 75. The vibration varied in severity during those speeds. When we got back I asked if he would write something up for me...he agreed but he wanted to dictate it to me and then he signed it.

The second machanic said almost the exact same thing. I had not told him that I had just taken the other guy out. I didn't want to influence his findings. I took him on the same route and sure enough the truck was shaking in the rear. When we got back I told him a short version of the history. He said that there is definately a problem with the rear end.

I then took the truck 10 miles away to the same company that the Nissan place had sent me to. I told them what the other store had done and that I was felt the vibration was getting worse. Donnie, (tire tech.) raised the rear end then got in the truck and started it up. I was watching the tires and I could visually see that they were both bouncing at approx. 5-10mph. I then changed places with Donnie and he agreed that he not only felt the back end of the truck wobble but could also see the tires bounce. He then lowered the truck and rotated the front to the back. We tried that test again and got the same results. I must say it was a relief to visualize that test.

I promply headed back to town and went to see my friend at the body and fender shop. I told him about the test and he said that it was probably a defective axle and/or bearings (sp).

I called over to the dealership to have the service manager, John, call me so that I could tell him what I had found out. The girl in the dept. said that he was in a meeting and that she would give him the mess. to call. I waited about three hours and called back. She told me again that he was in a meeting. I ask if she would take some notes for me and make me an appointment. She took the notes but said that John would have to schedule the appointment. That's funny she has made all my other appointments.

I suspected that I would not get a call back so I called Nissan USA again only to find out that the service manager had told them that my truck was fixed and to close the case. I told the person that that is not right, my truck was not fixed and the last I heard from John was that he was going to contact the Nissan Tech. to see what the next step would be. So she documented what I had found out and said that she would reopen my case and send it on to Steve, the case manager. I told her thank you for your help and hung up.

Next I called the other Nissan Dealer and made an appoint for Thursday, Nov. 3rd @ 10:00am. Atleast I know that I have gotten good service there.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:15 PM

HOPING THIS IS MY LAST ENTRY!!! VIBRATION IS FIXED!!!

I took my truck into the other dealer yesterday, Nov. 3, 2005. The service was wonderful. The Asst. Manager in the service dept. greeted me as I drove in, even though I was about 25 mins. early (9:35am). He told me he would like a report on the truck and then he would like to take it for a drive. I updated him and off he went.

When he came back he asked if I would take the Manager for a drive. I said I would be happy to. The service manager did say that my truck rode choppy in the back end. I told him on a scale of 0-10 it was about a 5. For some reason it vib. more when it was warm out. He then asked the first guy to take me out in a new truck so I could compare. I knew about two blocks away that the ride was a lot different then my truck. As I told him it was "as smooth as a babies butt."

When we got back I told Alan, Asst. Manager, that I would go find some lunch and be back. This was at noon. At about 1:00pm Alan came into the waiting room and ask me to come back to the service dept. and he would like to have a talk with me and the manager. He told me that he tried to locate the warranty work that was documented for my truck in the computer. He also said that there was no such records. I told him, again, that that didn't surprize me as I had not received any paper work in the four times that I had taken my truck into the other dealer. He told me that they needed more history on what had already been done to the vehicle before they could continue. They had checked the tires, wheels, rear differential, barrings, etc. The manager piped in and said that they had cleaned off the drive line because they had found a clump of the all season substance on the drive line. They then told me that they would gather up the info. that they needed and would give me a call in a couple of (work) days.

I thanked them and said that I would be looking forward to hearing from them. WOW, what a difference it made to me. I left there feeling like they had taken the burden off my shoulders and that they would worry about what to do with my truck instead of it being my responsibility. So I got in the truck to head the 50 miles home.

I was about two blocks away and I new the truck was driving very different...."smooth as a babies butt". They had fixed it. I was sooo happy I had tears in my eyes. I wanted to call them right away but I thought should atleast drive it home to make sure what I was really feeling. Sure enough it is fixed.

When I got home I called and talked to Alan. I told him that they had fixed the problem.....he said it must have been the overspray on the driveline that was causing the vib. That would also explain why it was rougher in the warm weather. I couldn't have told him thank you enough.

It is the next morning now and I feel rested and like I am going back to my old self again. I really didn't recognize who I was. I couldn't have believed that a situation like this could have turned me into the angry, depressed person over a seven week period. I now have a different level of empathy for folks that have and will endure situation such as mine.

PS: I expect to hear from the BBB soon. Maybe I can make a difference so that the next person that deals with the first dealership doesn't have to go through what I did.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 PM

Welllll, I spoke too soon. Now that the back end doesn't vib. I noticed that the front of the truck is vib. It acts exactly like the rear did...somewhat intermittent and worst when it is warmer weather. I assume I didn't notice it because the rear end was so bad. I have made yet another appt. with the second dealership so that they can inspect the rest of the driveline and, if necessary, clean it off as well. This will be the seventh appointment since about Sept. 12th. I truly hope this will be over soon. I still have not received one shred of paperwork from the first dealership. I do not enjoy driving my new truck. When all of this is staightened out I may trade it for a Toyota.[&:]

Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 PM

I feel your pain. I went through problems with the Team Nissan service department in Marietta, GA when I had bought a new '02 Frontier. My issue was a defective computer that took about a month and a half to get fixed correctly. I love Nissan vehicles. I HATE dealing with thier dealership service departments. I've heard a lot of horror stories like yours from people and I have had two myself. Good luck with your issue.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 AM

Hi Pinkley;

Just read your posts. Wow, what can I say. This is about the ugliest story I've ever heard. So what do I think you should do... Well, to be honest I think you should stick to your guns with the lemon law and make them replace your truck. I'm sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear but it's like this. We used to call a vehicle like yours a friday car. One made on a friday when the only thing anybody wanted to do is go home. Cars (and trucks) like that are usually full of never ending problems and your vibrations may only be the beginning. So go back to the BBB and ask them what to do next. Maybe they can even take over for you. Who knows. Well, I know my words won't really help you much so I'll close by saying,

May the Lord God be with you and richly bless you in this situation.

Peace be with you,

Brad

Old 11-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Thank you for the encouragement Brad, I have decided that I will retain a lawyer if the problem still exsists after I take it in tomorrow. Needless to say this whole experience has made me physically and spiritual sick. I am loosing faith in the human race...I believe that most of the people that work at the Nissan Dealership where I purchased my truck lie just to hear themselves talk.[:@]

Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 PM

I am falling behind in my documentation.
On Nov. 17th I once again had an appointment at Horizon Nissan, Roseburg OR, for the same problem. I remember to clock the mileage this time and was surprized to learn that it is 62 miles one way from my home. As I headed over on the rule highway the truck was doing it usuall vibrating until I was about 40 miles into the trip. It seemed to smooth out a bit. I'm thinking to myself, great, I'll get over there and the thing would shake like it has been doing. (And getting progressively worse.)
When I arrived, Allen, the Asst. Manager, that I have been working with was waiting for me. I asked if he would like to take a test drive and he agreed.
When drove about 6 miles and sure enough the vib. on a 0-10 scale was about a 3-4. He told me not to be discouraged and that things like this sometime happen. I was heartbroken that the darn thing wasn't cooperating.
We both agreed that I should leave it there over night.
The next day Allen called and said that he couldn't feel the vib. and that I could pick up the truck. I'm not sure what all they looked at but apparently they couldn't find anything. So once again I made the trip over the mountain.
By the next week, it seemed that the vib. was getting much worse. I had to go to Roseburg and thought if this thing keeps up I'll be vib. across country in it. So I stopped in and again Allen happily jumped in with me. My mother was in the front seat so Allen got in behind me. The minute we took off his comment was, "Wow, it's never shook like this before when I've been in it." I told him that I was soooo happy he had just said that. The truck was shaking from the center of the truck up to the front.
Allen said when we get back, (this was on Friday Nov. 25th). So I took the truck in yesterday morning which was, Dec. 1.
I haven't heard anything back yet but will post as soon as I know.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:13 AM

It's Saturday, Dec. 3rd, and I 'm still anxiously waiting to hear something. I know that they aren't opened on Sunday so I guess it will be Monday or so before I get any news.
I actually feel calm compared to what I have been doing. I guess it has to do with the trust that I have in Allen and his crew. I know in my heart that they wouldn't lie to me like the other guy. By the way I talked to Steven at the Nissan USA Consumer Adv. center. I asked him what I should do this time if they can't fix my truck. He told me that we would get the paper work together and work towards getting me a new truck!!! I told him that I still hadn't received any paperwork for the original service dept. He told me that he would check into it for me.

My Christmas wish is that I will have "A" truck.

Quick Reply: Vibration in rear at 65mph+