New Member Area New to Nissan Forum? Stop in tell us about you.
View Poll Results: Does your 2020 have these problems?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

2020 Sentra Owners, do you have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 09:51 PM
Exclamation 2020 Sentra Owners, do you have this problem?

I own (2) 2020 Nissan Sentra’s

Dear 2020 Sentra Owners,

Check your car for the below defects and report to Nissan Consumer Affairs & NHTSA

1). A feature of the Auto Intelligent Headlight feature is not working on 2020 Sentras, all trims. During the daytime (rain or snow) when the windshield wipers are turned on and swish back and forth 4 times, it’s supposed to automatically turn on headlights (which also turns on tail lights so you’re not rear ended).

2). Additionally, when the headlights are in “Headlight” mode (not automatic mode), the owners manual states when the engine is turned off and the door is opened you will get both an alarm chime and a visual warning on the drivers display that lights are on and to turn them off. Just like any normal car going back for 20 years. Well it doesn’t work in 2020 Sentra. Only way I can get feature to chime or show the display warning is to toggle the headlight control switch to “Parking Lights” and back to “Headlights”!. Of course, if I can remember to do that I could remember to turn off the headlights!

Auto Intelligent Headlights is explained on the Nissan website, and the 2020 Sentra Brochure States it as a standard feature on all trims. I also have a personal letter from Nissan stating 2020 Sentras have all of this feature.
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TEC...ght_wiper.html

It doesn’t work. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, after 2 months and being handed off to 2 customer service reps they finally sent a Corp DTS Rep to look at car. After 4 hrs examining it, he contacted the internal only “Nissan Tech Talk”, only for Nissan mechanics and you must have a dealer code to access, not for the public. Turns out, they knew that due to a new wiring system in the 2020 Sentra’s those features and a fog light auto feature don’t work! Apparently it’s a defect, I was never notified they discovered this (despite Nissan having my home address, all my phones numbers and email). The Dealers or Corp Rep’s didn’t seem to know either. But the tech peoplie did, because they fixed it on the 2021 Sentra and there’s a note about it in “Nissan Tech Talk”. Dirty little secret. There was no way for the consumer to know.

Unfortunately, I bought 2 of these cars! My 2nd one I had a hard time choosing between the 2020 or the 2021. I opted to go with a second 2020 model as outgoing model was cheaper. Never once did they mention the feature didn’t work, or that they had discovered the problem and fixed it for 2021.

I imagine most 2020 Sentra owners just assume their lights are automatically come on during daytime windshield wiper use.

In closing, 2020 Sentra owners must manually turn on their headlights during the day when raining or snowing. That’s hard to do when driving in inclement weather. You must also remember to turn them off, and the warning system to turn them off ... doesn’t work.

Nissan says they won’t fix as no one else has complained (so they say), NHTSA has to have several complaints before they will make them. Please report to a Nissan a Consumer Affairs & NHTSA.