General Nissan Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical/alternator/battery issue, looking for help/suggestions/anything

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Default Electrical/alternator/battery issue, looking for help/suggestions/anything

I own a 90-91 Maxima. Two days ago I came out to find the car dead. I jumped it and that worked fine but I stopped at a red light and when I pulled away my radio started cutting in and out and then the car started jerking back and forth and then it died. I jumped it again and took it to a mechanic thinking it was the Alternator. The mechanic hooked up the diagnostic machine to the alternator and it was putting out 14 volts , which he said was what it is supposed to do. He hooked up the battery and it was fine as well.

I drove the car again and after about 20 minutes it died as I was pulling away from a stop sign. I took it back to the mechanic and he thought maybe the alternator was heating up and quiting. He let the car run for 4 hours in the mid-day sun, it never died. He hooked up the diagnostic machine again and the was putting out 14 volts, and the battery was fully charged.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that there is a loose conection that is shorting out something, because of the stopping and going motion that occurs when I have to stop at red lights and stop signs.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Old 04-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Electrical/alternator/battery issue, looking for help/suggestions/anything

did you take the mechanic on a test drive to show him what it does so he can have better chances of diagnosing the probleM?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Default RE: Electrical/alternator/battery issue, looking for help/suggestions/anything

As you car totally looses power and the mechanic did not mention a loose battery or alternator cable/wire, I would agree that there is a another loose wire/cable somewhere.

1. check the engine to body ground cable for corrosion and a tight fit.

2. check all the electrical plugs in the engine bay for integrity and that they are tight