Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

Been a while but need light help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Default Been a while but need light help

All right I have been here before but that was when I had my Sentra and was tinkering. Now I have a new project. An '84 300ZX 2+2 hardtop. I have a small electrical issue I can't seem to locate a cause for. If the battery is connected the taillights are on. Like the parking lights. No headlights just tail. Anyone have an idea? I'll try tinkering a bit more in the next few days (If the rain ever decides to stop here) and get a bit more info.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Been a while but need light help

is it the taillights as if you were to push the brakes....if so then have someone stand behind the car and try this....pull the brake pedal towards you and check to see if the lights go off...if they do strap a nickel onto the bracket where the brake switch is and that should solve your problem.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 PM

I'll have to try that one... What bracket do I strap the nickel to? I mean is it obvious? I know it is the brake lights I was guessing that the switch had gone bad. Also the reverse lights don't come on either.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 AM

well for the bracket you'll have to feel your way its right there where the brakelight switch is at....but if your saying that your back-up lights aren't working either then you'll have to go beyond the switch and go straight to the bulbs....replace those and look at your taillight pieces cause they come as one side and another....and also take a look at your connectors make sure that they come in contact with one another just play with the wires while someone holds the reverse and brakes in place...so that you won't get runned over...sorry if sounds stupid but i'm pretty sleepy hit me back with what goes on.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 PM

All right I'll give that a shot... And I'll try not to get runned over... Now also correct me if I'm wrong but if I have the key in the ON position (Car running position) but the engine not started the reverse lights SHOULD still work right? That way I CAN'T be runned over...

Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 PM

yeah that sounds about right...good luck on your project hit me up with the progress you've made on yours...right now i have mine parked cause my MAF sensor and EGR are all screwed up and the car turns off as soon as i start it. i'd replace the parts but my Autozone discount won't cover enough to get it at a cheap price...laterz

Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM

Go figure LOL I need to go work at AZ. I now have a 300ZX that I'm working on (My friends) and JUST bought a 280 ZX turbo that needs a head gasket. I got the taillight thing semi fixed. You were right as to what the problem is now I need to find the problem with the blower motor, find a new window switch, and likely some motors (They are slow going up and down). The blower motor doesn't run at all so I need to fix that so it'll have a windshield defroster...

Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 PM

no problem man....oh for your window problems....look at your alternator have it checked at autozone and look for a voltage from 14.2 - 14.8 thats the best charge you can have. i have a 200sx which had a problem with the alternator and the windows took forever to close and finally the car just started giving up and the A/C would turn off the car and any little thing you would touch the car would lose performance or turn off the car. just look for me man or e-mail me at "nismogtz89@yahoo.com" and i'll get back to you. laterz