Nissan 300zx This coupe and convertible was very popular with performance car enthusiasts around the world, whether in the base model,or the high end Twin Turbo model.

Considering buying 300zx but have questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Default Considering buying 300zx but have questions

I recently bought a mazdaspeed protege (turboed protege from factory if you are not familiar). Sure, its fun and sporty, handles like a dream and is relatively fast (0-60 in 7 seconds), BUT it has a weak tranny and the LSD has a bad rep from blowing and there are other such quirks. Overall, I just don't trust the car. On top of all that, I am getting married in December and will not be able to afford the payments at that point. So I'm considering down sizing, but I still want a fun car and the 190hp (due to some mods) in my mazda isn't really cutting it for me either, especially when I would like to be able the beat on the car a little without wondering when its going to break on me (and my factory warranty is up at this point). So I'm asking anyone's help and input on what kind of reliability and what the common problems with the 300zx are. I know I could search, but I don't have time to read the whole forum so any help in this department would be great. I'm looking into a 1993-1996 turbo or non (of course preferably turbo!) and I'm going to need a back seat in order to sell the idea to my fiance! So please briefly educate me on any expensive repairs that I may face. Not little quirks like a trunk rattle, but big problems like a leaky turbo, weak tranny, AC dying, etc. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Default RE: Considering buying 300zx but have questions

so I guess the car has no problems at all? Cool....Yeah right. Would someone help me out with some info here?

Old 02-28-2006, 12:54 PM

I'm really beginning to think that this forum sucks guys....I've never been on such an unhelpful forum before. In fact, I've never been on any forum that is even anywhere near this unhelpful....I just asked a simple question.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:50 AM

i now what you mean. i'm a new member also. i have not had one problem with either of my 300zx's.('84 & '94). SUPER fun to drive though!!!

Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 PM

i am a new member and i bought a 1990 non turbo and i run this car hard and it has been able to withstand everything i have thrown at it so far it is a very fun car to drive and mine has 193000 miles and it still shifts and runs strong i hope this helps

Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 PM

I just want to point out that when you post something on a forum with limited members, you will most likely not have a response to your question in 8 hours (your 2nd message) or 23 hours (your 3rd message). I had a 91 300ZX TT and had the water pump go at 156k miles. I had it until 173k when I needed a newer car, so I bought an 02 Maxima. Good luck and please don't say that a forum sucks until you wait a few days...
TH

Old 03-29-2006, 01:59 PM

If you want a Turbo, you can't get a 2+2. Those are only available w/o turbo. (NA) I've had a '90 NA since August of 2001. It has been reliable, it handles very well, comfortable and they aren't common, which is a nice plus. Parts are expensive. If you are handy, you can do the work yourself. The only recalls I know of were for early '90 Z's in which the drivers side cylinder head was machined incorrectly. There was a recall on the PTU (power transistor unit) in which they were replaced with Mitsubishi units under warranty. The only problem I ever had was a rough idle, which I replaced the bad part and installed a new one. Things to expect when you have a older car. Hope this helps. Send me an email if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Hey man,

I know I'm writing this many months after you posted but I thought my experience could maybe help. If you are looking for something that is going to be cheaper I wouldn't go w/ the 300zx twin. I bought a 1991 TT w/ 117,000 miles on it for a weekend toy thinking that it would be good to go. Completely wrong. I found out 2 weeks after I got it that it needed a new engine and turbos @ the cost of around 6 grand. That was in feb. and I just now got it back on Sat. may 14th. Don't get me wrong. I love the car and I replaced the engine but it hurt in the wallet. I would have to say that I have never driven anything so exciting to drive though. Good luck

Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 300znewbe

Hey man,

I know I'm writing this many months after you posted but I thought my experience could maybe help. If you are looking for something that is going to be cheaper I wouldn't go w/ the 300zx twin. I bought a 1991 TT w/ 117,000 miles on it for a weekend toy thinking that it would be good to go. Completely wrong. I found out 2 weeks after I got it that it needed a new engine and turbos @ the cost of around 6 grand. That was in feb. and I just now got it back on Sat. may 14th. Don't get me wrong. I love the car and I replaced the engine but it hurt in the wallet. I would have to say that I have never driven anything so exciting to drive though. Good luck

You could have gotten a complete vg30det motor and 5 speed or auto tranny for 1,300 with no more then 50,000 miles....

Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 PM

hey guys....

it's interesting to find this topic when i'm having my Z fixed up. i bought my '93 2+2 'non-turbo' at 110,000 miles, less than 2 months ago. about 2 weeks ago the car started heating up. found out the water pump was leaking. after i took it to a workshop, replaced the timing belt since it needed replacing anyway at 120,000m. found out the tensioners and tensioner and idlers were worn out so replaced them too. oh i almost forgot, cracked the radiator so got that replaced, AND just found out today the main gas cylender for the brakes is leaking too....

total cost? $2000!!! so here's a list of things u mite wanna check out before buying ur car everybody knows these cars cost big money.... but for those of us who love 'em.... who cares!!!